Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

more low end power

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more low end power

i dont think it is possible to advance cam on th wolverine, get a good pipe a gutted stock pipe is bad for your bike, get a good aftermarket.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Range Rover

Spddemon, I am still not exactly sure how a torque stuffer works. Are you saying that if I put a torque stuffer in and I increase my discs from 6 to about 12, it would have about the same low-end as 6discs without the torque stuffer along with the added high end do to the added discs. I guess I just don't understand how a torque stuffer works opposed to taking discs out of your pipe. I thought the torque stuffer basically restricts your exhaust a little creating backpressure and adding torque, just as putting fewer discs in your pipe would. My final question, if I put a torque stuffer in and increase my discs to 12, will I have as much torque down low as with 6 discs (from torque stuffer) along with increased mid-upper range (from added discss). Sorry this is so complicated, I'm just trying to make sense out of all this.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

LOL, its cool, most people dont. I can see it all working physically in my head, its just hard for me to put into words. Let me try though, the torque stuffer works by creating a stronger venturi, and forcing the exhaust gases through the exhaust faster than before, but it loads up the cylinder in a sense because the spent gases dont have the same amount of space to flow through out of the head as they once did, creating more cylinder pressure, which has a greater force downward on the piston.

The exhaust in a sense works in the same way, but just further down the pipe. I dont know exactly how the exhuast pipe works to do it, because I have never disected one, but i know what its doing. Think of it as a traffic jam, it ends up loading up the cylinder the same way that the torque valve did, but its also loading up the whole exhaust system in order to create that pressure all the way back up to the cylinder. All of the air that has entered through the carburetor has to exit through the exhaust, unless you have a leak. So all of that air goes through the cylinder and out the exhaust port, it then travels down the header pipe, and down to the muffler when it is restricted by only 6 discs and a spark arrestor, those 6 discs can only let a certain volume of spent gases out of the exhaust in a given amount of time, so there is a whole bunch of it that is coming down to the muffler and has to slow down to exit. Well that backs up the whole process, thats why they call it backpressure, this means that the exhaust now holds more pressure all the way back up to the cylinder. now that there is more pressure in the cylinder, there isnt as much space for any more incoming air which also slows down the coming into the carb, and the whole system.

Think about this, the more pressure on the piston cylinder pressure (compression) the more torque you are going to have. The more air you can move throughout the whole process, out the exhaust, the more horsepower you are going to make.

Now, the question, why do you want to make a little bit more torque and power down low, and make less overall horsepower and torque than you had to begin with, by restricting it to 4-5 discs and running the torque valve with a spark arrestor??? What you are now achieving is, it is now easier to turn the tires at low rpms, but harder at higher ones. Well trust me, you could still turn those tires that easy, you just had to rev it higher right now. So now what you have is a bike that will turn those bigger tires a little better at a lower rpm, and now you've made it slow to boot. That doesnt make any sense. By the time you run that low of a number of discs, a torque valve, and a spark arrestor, its restricted more than it was in the first place, and you wasted hundreds of dollars to shift the powerband a little and now you make less power overall.

A small overbore, a 10.5:1 compression piston, a good flowing exhaust, and intake, with the torque valve, and you will turn those 25's fine.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Rock777, sorry, I forgot your other question. About how much power you will make at each different set up I am not sure of. But I would run 20 discs and a torque valve, you will make a good mix, and stilll be faster than you were stock. Hope you understand it all now.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

on my modified stock exhaust i took it off and over to friends shop with a plasma cutter and a mig welder. we cut a long u ([____])shape in the bottom and opened it up, there are two chambers, the first from the pipe (gas in) then a divider in the center with only one hole abuot 3/4 inch. this was opened to aprox 11/2 inch plus a second hole of same size for volume nearly equal to diameter of head pipe. in second chamber of muffler(gas out with spark arrestor) the tube inside that holds the spark arres. has holes cut into the sides for gas to exit through. thes were also opened by 2 times orig size plus 2 extras cut in. housing closed and welded back . in measuring the flow of the head pipe with out the torque stuffer the muffler flowed only 2% less ( friend has flow measuring equipment- high perf. engine shop specializing in dirt track modified car engines, shop very successful) would this be sufficiant exhaust or still need aftermarket pipe

Old 08-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Spddemon, you did help clear this up alot. Now I just have to debate if I want to deal with the loudness of 20 discs, ha. So many things to think about!

Old 08-17-2004, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

No Problem man. 20 isnt too bad until you go gunning it. If you wanna ride by the neighbors house easy, just run it easy in a higher gear, and they wont complain. When you go full throttle though, its pretty loud. Sounds good though.

Trailcrawler - You mean after you modified it, it flowed 2% less than it did when it was stock?? When you modified it, did you take the spark arrestor out of the end of it?? If it was me, I would still put an aftermarket pipe on it. I would also run 20 discs and maybe bump up the compression. Thats me though.