Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

one way starter install

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004 | 09:04 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default one way starter install

I just removed the old one way starter from my 02 raptor. When I removed the fly wheel I found that the bolts that held the one way to the fly wheel had been sheered off (all 6). Obviously that explains the clacking everytime I would start it. I know that they were 5 mm allens. How long were they? Can I get them at Home Depot? Or, do I have to special order them? If so, where from?

Old 08-13-2004 | 09:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

I would go to yamaha and purchace the OEM bolts, they are the right size and grade. Eliminates the guess work!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2004 | 11:01 PM
Range Rover

How bad was that to remove? I might end up doing that if i keep the raptor.

Old 08-13-2004 | 11:21 PM
|
Trailblazer

not that hard. You can do it in an hour. Go to raptortranny.com and get the step by step instructions. They are great. I had an impact wrench for the bolt, which I guess makes all the difference in the world. and you NEED the longer bolts on the Sears steering wheel puller, no way around it (I tried). Then pray your bolts weren't sheered off. I don't have a clue how it happened. I am draining my oil tomorrow, and looking for the bolt heads. If I don't find them I will need to take the entire engine apart, which I am not looking forward to. I am not a good mechanic, but my brother in law is one by trade so I am fortunate!

Old 08-13-2004 | 11:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

Originally posted by: Tyme
looking for the bolt heads.
Use a magnet, put it in the oil galley, push it around as much as you can. If that does not work drain the oil, set quad on its side (flywheel side facing down) take the clutch cover case off and start flushing the crankcase with oil and try to flush the broken bolts out. good luck.

Old 08-13-2004 | 11:41 PM
|
Trailblazer

I will do as much as possible before takeing it apart!! Do you think I can keep useing the same oil to flush it out? As long as I am putting it into a clean container? Where is the "oil galley". I obviously still have the fly wheel exposed. I was thinking about sticking a magnet into the hole right there (where the heads went) What do you think my chances are of flushing them out?

Old 08-14-2004 | 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

RaptorTranny.com has a good walkthrough for that. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2004 | 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

wow u got lucky.. when my one way went my bolts also sheered off but my cam chain broke breaking the cam chian guides breaking the cam gears breaking the one way bearing gear breaking the valves and to top it off the rocker arm... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2004 | 08:55 AM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: pinheadedjoker
wow u got lucky.. when my one way went my bolts also sheered off but my cam chain broke breaking the cam chian guides breaking the cam gears breaking the one way bearing gear breaking the valves and to top it off the rocker arm... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Are you serious!!! Is that your "4,000 in repairs"? I would've had to part mine out on eBay if that happened. I assume you would recommend taking the enigine apart if I only found 5 of the 6 heads!

Do you have any clue on how these are getting sheered? It was a clean cut on all of them!

Old 08-14-2004 | 10:34 AM
|
Trailblazer

Awesome news...

Did some praying, then stuck the magnet in the oil galley...1 bolt, Stuck it in again...another bolt, stuck it in again, well, you get the picture. Did this 6 times and got ALL six bolt heads!!

Quick Reply: one way starter install