Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Big Bear Mud Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2000, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased two new BB and am very happy with them with the exception of the mud flaps. They do a great job of protecting the rider, but are made of a very brittle plastic that cracks and pulls apart at the attachment points. I have had to stitch them several times already. I ride mainly woods trails and don't abuse them but it doesn't take much of a tree rub to break one. Does anyone know of any replacement flaps that are more forgiving or less brittle?

S.C.

Old 08-21-2000, 09:38 AM
Range Rover

Good question. The mud flaps on my 00' BB 4x4 did pulled away from the green body plastic ripping through the holes. How did you fix or stitch them? I have thought about making a bracket to bolt the the two pieces together but want to find a better way.

Old 08-22-2000, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I stitched the mud flaps with plastic Zip Ties. You drill a small hole in the flap and one in the green plastic about an inch from the edges and then run the zip tie from the underside thru the holes and pull the pieces together. Make them meet where the look like they wee never broken in the first place. You can use several in a row for long tears or cracks and they will look like a doctors stitches. I put them about an inch apart. Hope that helps.

Old 08-22-2000, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

My buddy and I both have '00 big Bears and he has already completely lost the left flap and the right one is hanging by a thread. He has ordered new ones and says he's going to put some really large washers on both sides of the new ones to see if he can keep them from pulling through. I'll let you know how that works. My flaps are still OK. Part of his problem is that he's running Outlaws and the flaps get caught in them sometimes. I'm running even bigger Mud Bugs but I cut my flaps so they wouldn't get caught. If your tires ever catch your flaps, they'll really stress those rivets and fasteners.

CrashGordon

Old 08-22-2000, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

CrashGordon - I am still using the original tires for now and I just installed a Warn 2000 winch on both units. That was a great promotion they ran as far as I am concerned. Let me know on the washer trick but I have my doubts. The plastic is just to stiff and brittle. I will probably look at some Super Swampers or Blackwaters when $ allows. One unit is my wifes and I can't do mine without doing both so it's a little expensive. Thanks for the reply

S.C

2 - 2000 Big Bears with 2000lb Warn winches and stock for now. Love the ground clearance!!

Old 08-22-2000, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

Crash: Did you cut the mud flaps horizontal along the bottom edge and vertically along the exterior edge?
How much did you trim off and has the lack of the mud flap which was cut off caused to you to unintentionally get wet or muddy?

The way the stock mud flaps are set up are great at keeping a rider clean and dry but do get in the way of brush, sticks and branches.

Please keep sharing the info riders. That is what makes this a great forum!

00' 4x4 Big Bear (and what a bear it is!)

Old 08-24-2000, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recently purchased a 00 Big Bear and have noticed the same thing beginning to happen. Has anyone notified Yahama yet. And is this a warrenty item. Please let me know.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2000, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

My friend just bought a '99 4x2 big bear.
Will this effect his?? or only the '00's??

If it does effect his, wait till I tell him this...maybe not...I'll go riding with him and he will come back with no mud flaps...LOL

Old 08-26-2000, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't written to Yamaha yet. I was waiting to see if anyone on this forum had any info. I will probably drop them a line soon. If they do a warranty thing I will post it when I find out.

S.C.