Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizz Humor

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2000, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the pulls? Depends on the ground, the article said it was in loose sand, I have been to many pulls that were on hard pack (most pulls) and the grizz does just fine

Old 08-21-2000, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Well you want to know about ATV pulls. I went against a big Traxter XT, ya the one with the blackwater Kit. He pulled 89 feet and i pulled 88 feet, how is that for belt drive and i had real stock tires on my bike not blackwater tires.
So power bring them on and the Grizz will rule. We have to contend with speed demons and utility demons, not just one. The grizzly competes in two classes and is right up in the top of both classes, RIGHT! right that is what i thought. Oh ya and they don't break either.

Old 08-21-2000, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

grizjeeper,
you are probably right about the ground type. But if I were a griz owner & lost to ANYTHING I would be more than a little embarrassed. I mean you go out & buy the biggest, baddest, most powerful, quad & then get beat. That would be a tough pill to swallow. Kinda like an F-250 getting outpulled by a S-10.

Old 08-21-2000, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

I liked my 98 Grizzly but It did run hot when pushed hard in the mountains. I also noticed the oil would turn black in just a few days worth or riding due to the heat. I traded it for a 98SP500 because of the ride. I now have a 2000SP500 and it is an awesome machine. Even my 98 ran alot cooler than my griz. After 3 months of hard riding, the oil was still green. I know both machines have their pros and cons. The Grizz did feel more solid, but the ride was much rougher. I did not like the rear brakes. Once in the mud, they were useless.

Anyway, just an opinion from someone that has had both bikes.

Greg

Old 08-21-2000, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Green Oil? I have heard of green coolant, what type of oil was this?

Old 08-21-2000, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Yo Andrew,
All things being equal, traction and weight will determine who can pull what the farthest. Since the Polaris is substantially heavier and has a locking front dif, of course its going to out pull a Griz! So if I lock up my front end, and add at least 100lbs I will cream a Sportsman. Because then not too much is equal! I have more power, and I probably won't burn up my drive belt in the effort! One more thing, an S-10 would out pull a stock F-250 if it had lockers in both ends and the weight was equal. Maybe I'm doing something different then everyone else, but I've never hooked anything to my quad and pulled it around for fun, or to see if I could. Am I missing something?

Old 08-21-2000, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

01 Griz, no way would an S-10 pull with a F-250 if only the weight & traction were equal. I've been hinting around this whole issue & only one other guy has got it & he posted before me. The Griz is a fine quad, but I do see a lot of comparisons to the Sportsman. IT is the king, thats why people say it's in a class all itself. All I'm getting at is the biggest baddest quad isn't really the king of 4X4s when it comes right down to it. The only thing it really has on any other utility quad is more CC's, but that doesn't seem to make it the best.

Old 08-21-2000, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Andrew, You may note that I said a stock F-250. Which more then likely would have open difs at both ends. Or at the very most limited slips. There for the traction would not be equal vrs. a truck that was locked up at both ends.I can't argue the 4x4 merits of the Sportsman. It has some really good stock features that I wish mine had, well one anyway. The locking front dif. As far the weight goes, that may be great if you in a pulling contest. But when your negotiating a very steep muddy rutted out hill, its a liability not an asset!

Old 08-22-2000, 01:48 AM
Range Rover

What alot of people seem to misunderstand about the Grizz is that Yamaha did not intend for it to be a pure utility quad. They could have geared it much lower and added alot of weight. The Grizz was designed to do many things well but not be the best at any 1 thing. It is decently quick and
compared to the outher big bores it is lightweight. For the type of riding i do the sportsman is to heavy and the Traxter to slow and heavy. They are both excelent quads but not very sporty (notice i dident call them JUNK).

Old 08-22-2000, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

01Griz,
I see your point about the locked vs open or limited diffs. But look at it this way... That's like saying an Explorer 250 4x4 can outpull a grizzly. Yes the 250 is locked front & rear & the griz isn't, but there is no way an Explorer is gonna outpull a griz. If you ask my pick on a 4WD quad. I'd pick the Magnum, I really wouldn't care for that IRS stuff anyway.

Quick Reply: Grizz Humor