Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help--started running rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 03:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help--started running rough

Went and fueled her last week, and it was running fine both to and from the gas station. The other day, when I took it out for a spin, it had a miss to it. Was intermittent at mid throttle, but seemed to get worse at full throttle, and especially at top speed. It's acting like a fuel problem, so first I did the bottle of carb cleaner, no go. Then I drained the tank, cleaned out the fuel tap and sprayed the carb out with carb cleaner. Carb didn't seem dirty, but the fuel tap filter screens sure did. Bike only has about 40 hours, and 400 miles on it. Runs the same after the clean job with a refuel of premium. I haven't checked the plug yet, I'll do that tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated

Old 08-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Did you actually disassemble the jets and blow out the passages? If you dont take them out, youre only blowing stuff deeper into the carb, you need to blow the air, the opposite direction the fuel flows, to dislodge the crud.
This would be a good time to add an inline fuel filter.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

No I didn't, I just sprayed carb cleaner through the butterflies. I don't have a manual yet to show me a breakdown of the carb. Is it that complex to take apart?

TIA

Old 08-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Not that difficult. Keep your bench clean and keep things in order and remember how things go back togeher. If you have a digital camera, take pics as you go to help you get it back together. Heres a couple of sites on carb cleaning.
carb clean
carb

Old 08-28-2004, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, you were right. Pulled the jets, and sprayed everything out with carb cleaner and reassembled. Runs fine now, just got back from a late night run. When I pulled the plug, it was a bit sooty and black, like its running a little rich. I'm at 4200 feet elevation, so should I worry about rejetting it? It wasn't too carbon fouled, just looks like maybe one or two sizes smaller on the jet would be good.

Thanks again for your help

Old 08-28-2004, 02:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Glad you got it going.
As far as black colored plug, Yes, its running rich, but thats better than lean. The altitude probably is why, its rich.
Were you running wide open, and shut it down to check the color? Or just cruisin around?
The main jet doesnt come into play, until 3/4 to wide open. Its possible the idle circuit or midrange may need leaning.
Heres a couple of sites on carb adjusting.
jetting and symptoms
jets

Did you have any drivability problems? Hard starting, missing , bog, smoky exhaust?

Old 08-28-2004, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

seems like it has been hard to start all of its life, but its getting better. As far as the plug, I just pulled it and checked. I haven't started with a new one and done the test yet.