Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The REAL truth about reed cages!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The REAL truth about reed cages!!!

This is for roostthrower,
If I did not go up that many jet sizes on my 330r I am sure it would of looked like craimanlpoet motor,

now lets talk v-force I bought a brand new reed cage from them had TWO races days on it and the
screws came loose on one side and I munch a set of reeds, Well maybe we should of checked the brand new reed cage to make sure the screws where tight so I got another set of carbon fibers for it and wow guess what the same d@mn side came loose again. So we sent the cage to mototassanri
(who by the way builds the cages) to look at to see why the srews came loose. Well to make a long story short they sent me the same reed cage back after they said they would send a new one and to top things off they did put new reeds (outside petals) on it and they didn't even bother to take it apart to do it. You can see the nice little screw driver marks they forced down on the nice plastic cage.
I don't think I will take the chance again...
I will post back on this topic about how this reed cage performs.
Considering I had an oring leaking, heating problem I still ran a 5.02 in the 300ft. (which last time the best I could get was a 5.12 at the same track.) So we will see.

DANA

Old 08-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were running lock tite right?

Old 08-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes we did put loctite on the screws, now my arguement with that is how well does loctite do with
PLASTIC? and I don't know if you have really looked at a v-force cage but they use coarse self threading screws to hold the petals on.
I wonder why v-force has come out with a new style cage that has snap together reeds with no screws.

I will clear up something though I didn't think to put (BUbba is also gripping about me typing under his icon)
I am not disputing they way v-forces run they did ok on my bike, maybe not as fast as my ESR cage,
and my friends run the cage also. I am very disappointed in the cust service aspect of it.
If I know something is my fault or I tore up something I do not expect any one to take care of it.
it is my doing. But man these reeds are not cheap.

As for the g3 the cust service stand point, can't be beat Will over there is very helpful and even called from his own home, after his closing time just to help tune it in. Now how many other places do you know that will do that??? That right there makes me a believer in the product.

anyway enough mouthing,
see ya
DANA (going to get my own icon (dangit)

Old 08-24-2004, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

AH, Illinformed dyno techs are a dime a dozen.

Question did he jet correctly, I think not. I am tired of people of just talking and not doing exactly as William states in jetting procedures. If you do what William tells you and not what you think you know about jetting is right. Only then you will see results.

Another misinformed dyno attemt to make the G3's look bad!!!!!

The G3's are a superior product when compared correctly (JETTING) to any other reed cage.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Gee, If I sold V-Force through my business I would grab a blue crayon and doctor the dyno chart as well.

That chart is so lame, no jetting information. As I said before ILLINFORMED!!!

Old 08-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

There was no jetting, its was EFI which I imagine was being tuned with a computer to get perfect air/fuel ratios.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

I was denied axcess to the thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2004, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Well, if you have a membership at that place its at the top of the dyno forum section. I didnt pay a whole lot of attention but it sounded like the guy who sells them was the guy who sent them to him and was in on the conversation towards the end. He didnt seem to upset or anything. Just kinda like ohwell. Maybe I missenterpreted though.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

kevin is very intelligent when it comes to his FI and his dyno. He is not some stupid schmoe that a lot of you guys are used to.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Ernie, you must be a PS member to read the forums.

The thread states the percent of fuel correction needed. As was said, Kevin runs EFI on that particular 350 drag motor.

Once again as I said in the thread a couple months back, larger jets are needed when your intake velocity is lowered. The slower air can't pull fuel through the smaller jet. You are still getting the same amount of fuel.

I am the one that sent the cages to Kevin. My PS login is Jinx44.

DaBeechMan, I agree. I have talked to a few dyno "techs" before and Kevin is one of the two that I would trust.

For what it is worth, I also hate the plastic the the V-forces are made of. However I have never lost a screw (I DON'T use loctite) or had a reed problem with any of the V-force cages I have ran. I have had screws back out of stock metal cages.

Edit: Also, after I tried these cages I said that WITH MY SETUP they didn't beat the V-force. I am running them on stock banshee cylinders. Ernie is running them on aftermarket cylinders which use CR or YZ style cages. Bubba is running the CR style also. Even though the design is basically the same, many things can happen when they are enlarged.

Quick Reply: The REAL truth about reed cages!!!