Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The REAL truth about reed cages!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The REAL truth about reed cages!!!

Good points cant be argued with.Being around the racing scene for years I was very "skeptical" about the increase of air volume thus need for more fuel. Well the smallest point where the air enters is the carburetor middle section. We all know that faster air means more fuel is pulled in and slower air pulls less fuel. So the theory basically contradicts itself. We were sucking quite a bit of water this weekend and the bike still ran fairly strong, although down a couple of MPH. It doesnt help that the humidity was almost 90% either. We have 2 different tracks and know what the bike runs at both. When the motor gets back together and everything is OK, then we will see. Real life testing does better than any dyno in my book and gives real timeslips. If they dont work out then they will get returned and I'll buy something else for the Banshee when that time comes.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The REAL truth about reed cages!!!

Originally posted by: Bubba297
Real life testing does better than any dyno in my book and gives real timeslips.
I agree with you to a certain point. I do think a dyno is a lot more consistant for comparing. Changing parts on the dyno, on the same day, under the same temp will yeild consistant results and show the difference. On the track, if you gain 600 RPM's of overrev, it will take a few passes to get the shifting down and become consistant. If you are use to shifting at 10,000 rpms and the new parts make power longer so you can now shift at 10,800 RPMs, but you still shift at 10 then its not a true comparison. Take Lectron carbs for example. They don't make any more power than Mikunis or Keihins when the keihins and mikunis peak, but they will continue on making more power and a ton of overrev. If you continue your normal shifting habits you won't find the Lectrons faster even though they are. A dyno will show this.