Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The REAL truth about reed cages!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The REAL truth about reed cages!!!

Some of you might remember a thread a few months ago about reed cages for the banshee. After days of bickering about who was right and I was told that I was "scared of the truth", thought I would end the arugment by ordering a set and trying them for myself. I was hoping to make it to the dyno personally, but the nearest shop with a dyno was 2 hours away so I sent them to a shop on Planetsand to do the testing. He ran into some engine trouble with the bike he was going to test them on, as well as was busy during the high point of the race season. He has just now found the time to finish testing the G3's (the cages in question) as well as V-force, FMF, others.

Here is the graph of the testing:

http://www.planetsand.com/memberphotos/216493-reeds.jpg

Old 08-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

vforce spanked da competition

Old 08-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like ernie was full of it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scrambler123
sounds like ernie was full of it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
I said that a couple months ago[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Old 08-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

AlkyburninX,

I posted the link to this dyno comparison on planetsand a few weeks back and got blasted by a couple connection members.

Some people just don't like to accept factual data. I, for one, do.

I'll stick with my VForce.

Regards,
Buttermilk

Old 08-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Buttermilk, sorry I didn't catch your thread. I haven't been on here for a while because I have became tired of the senseless posts such as "can I run so and so oil in the bike I might by in 6 months if my mommy will give me the money?" This message board along with blue-trax (<-that word is forbidden here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] thats funny) are the laughing stocks of other forums.

Kevin just PMed me last week and said he posted the graph. I hadn't checked my PM's for a while. I also say let them blast me. I know what to believe. Kevin has a shop that jokingly mention on PS during a thread about the G3's that he would test them if someone sent him a set. I had them laying here waiting to do my personal testing so I just sent them to him. He normally runs his ported stock cages in this motor and was wanting to test the V-force and others since he had never tried them. He was totally unbiased and I could tell he would do a fair comparision.

I was honestly surprised the Duncan Pyrimid cages didn't do better. I like the design of those and thought about trying a set. A friend runs them on his 4mm.

Old 08-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, keep in mind I am not here to blast anyone, but the jetting can make or break the motor. I can tell you by experience that the DIR cages need jetting compensation. We installed the new DIR cage with the carbon fiber reeds onto my wife's 330R friday the 20th. The pilot had to go up 4 numbers, the needle had to be moved up one notch, the air screw is 1/2 turn in farther, and the main jet is 10 higher than the old jet. This is a Keihin 40.5mm carb and that means 4 to 5 jet sizes to get a good running machine. We have not tried it out just yet, but so far I am impressed. If the plug reads correctly and you go up that far in jetting, then something should be happening. I am very weary to new products or the "hype". William at DIR spent 1.5 hrs on the phone with us and wanted every bit of info we could give him before building the cage. The TRX-11 pipe even has a different sound to it like he told us it would. The hard "ping ping" sound is gone from the expansion chamber. I am going to go with it for now and we'll see what happens. He told us we could return them if it didnt work out for us, and I still have the V-force that came out of it.Bubba

Old 08-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Air/Fuel ratios were adjusted for each reed cage to the proper ratio. That information is contained in the link.

The fact of the matter is, the G3's did not out perform the VForce.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

If your friend had to go up 5 main jet sizes, he was really lean to begin with. You don't go up five main jet sizes for any set of reeds. I'll stick with stock cages until I feel the need to upgrade. Larger carbs and some cut t3's are a much higher priority than some reed cages that will get you a small gain. Reeds are one of those mods you do after you've got the port work, pipes that will gladly except the new port timing, and carbs to get more air to the motor.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

The guy was using EFI and tuning the air/fuel ratio for every set of cages if I remember right. Im still not buying Vforces though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] id rather save that money and put it towards some NO2

Quick Reply: The REAL truth about reed cages!!!