Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor question #498486

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2000, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got through reading the review in the latest 4-Wheel ATV Action.

Because they say that the Banshe and the Raptor basically tie in the short drag, I tend to believe that they did a typo on the actual seconds that it took to finish it.

Also, this was a production unit that they tested. They stated that in order to keep it turning precise, it was necessary to keep rider weight toward the front end because it wanted to lift when applying throttle. Then, they also said that it could go up 2 or 3 teeth on the front sproket in order to gear it higher. I don't recall them making any comments about lack of low end power.

Do you think that whatever the problem was with the production units has been resolved? Surely the thing has more low end than a Banshee and thus could be geared at least as high as it.

My guess is that Yamaha is putting the lower gearing in it for people who do extremely slow woods riding and to keep the insurance and lawyer staff at bay.

With a simple sprocket change, I foresee 80+ MPH speeds out of an otherwise stock Raptor.

Old 08-20-2000, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Bash, did you mean to say go down 2 or 3 tooth on the FRONT or REAR sprocket to gear higher. Going down on the front would gear it lower. Anyway, I consider the Raptor to be similar to the DS650 performance wise. The Bombardier folks are saying that the DS650 will hit the rev limiter in 5th gear. If that is the case and similar with the Raptor, I would have no reason to doubt that 80+ MPH is possible. With about 45 HP, 10 more than a Banshee, it should be able to fly.

BTW, I counted and this is post #498487 not #498486 about the Raptor; you need to re-count the posts.

Old 08-20-2000, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

WyoRider,

I was thinking one thing and typing the other....It's been corrected.

PS. I recounted and you are correct on the number of Raptor post

Old 08-20-2000, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gearing up the front sprocket adds top end..rather then low end...the reason for the shorter stance and smaller front sprocket is most likely....a more noticable powerband...they want their potential buyers to feel that it has loads of low end power...it doesnt make it go that much slower...and a simply 13$ sprocket can fix the stock too low of gearing problem...(if it exists, i've never ridden a raptor)

Old 08-20-2000, 05:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Speaking of gearing and top speed... Drag Race Simulator at www.nightrider.com/biketech/accel_sim.htm (IE browser not recommended)

Old 08-20-2000, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

The magazines that I read said that the first gear on the Raptor was way too high, causing it to lug the motor at slow speeds. The lack of flywheel mass also adds to the problem. If one was to add a couple teeth to the front sprocket, this would make this problem much worse and cause it to bog down even worse at slow speeds. When I get my raptor, I was planning on putting a smaller front sprocket on it (less teeth) so that it would be a better woods machine, sacrificing some top speed. I rarely go to the dunes or on high speed trails, so I don't need 72 mph top speed. I'd be happy with 60 mph.

Old 08-20-2000, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

beaubill,

The lack of flywheel mass also adds to the problem.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I believe that most folks are used to the crank mass doing the work for them instead of properly slipping the clutch. If the magazines are saying that the rider has to stay forward in order to keep the front end from rising up when coming out of the corners, it couldn't be lacking very much on low end could it?

I guess I'll just have to wait and ride mine before I make a final decision, but I think it is worth noting that going lower and lower on the gearing doesn't always make it accelerate faster. Sometimes it works in just the opposite.