Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Web cams racing cams...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Web cams racing cams...

Anyone running a Web cam or Hot cam??? Curious as to how much of a difference it made and if it was worth it. Also, if anyone is running a high compression piston, how much difference did that make? Any problems running pump gas? Thanks- Bill

Old 08-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

schwendi has the web cams in his bike. It runs good. Not sure how much power it added because he did a lot of work at the same time.

dont run pump gas on a high compression piston if you go over 12.5:1

Old 08-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Range Rover

Thanks...alot of the pistons I see are 13.5:1...seems kinda high for pump gas and toolin' around in the woods. I think I'll stick to stock in that dept. What about cylinder heads...any aftermarket options there?

Old 08-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Ive never seen an aftermarket head for a 4 stroke. You can have the stock one ported but there probably isnt too much to gain on a YFZ. There is also oversized valves available but that is pretty expensive and I dont know if the gains are worth it ...

If I was building a woods bike I would probably run a 98mm piston (470cc) with 12.5:1 compression to boost the low end ... also I would leave the cam timing stock .... it would have killer low end and have a strong mid/top. I think that is how a lot of the GNCC guys are running their bikes

Old 08-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Ive seen quite a few guys porting heads on YFZ's with quite a bit to gain. Roughly 1-3 depending on the level.
You should definatly not run pump gas with a higher compression piston.
We run race gas 110 Octane in our bikes and have felt the gains and read them on paper also. Its just a win win situation with it. Its 100x cleaner and more consistant, Smells nice, burns cooler, and if you right the right place is not much more expensive than good pump gas(premium).

JMO....

Justin

Old 08-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Oh and as for the hot cam we installed one in my friends craptor and it wasent the greatest. But it was felt. I would go with a better quality brand. For instance Alba, whatnot

SEARCH!!!!

Old 08-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

yeah i agree with the race gas. Kevin, im starting to think a lot of that space in between our bikes is from you running race gas and me running pump.

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Range Rover

I didn't see any cams on Alba's site...the above mentioned were the only brands I was aware of, that's why they're the only ones I considered. The Hot Cams are within my price range as well, the Webs are a little expensive.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

from what i understand all the guys running hot cams are switching to web.

Old 08-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: yfzblaster1
Oh and as for the hot cam we installed one in my friends craptor and it wasent the greatest. But it was felt. I would go with a better quality brand. For instance Alba, whatnot

SEARCH!!!!
To my knowledge alba uses hotcams and renames them. At least that was my impression. Webcams are pretty good, and a little better than hotcams, but the lift and duration isnt the same on their models so its not a direct comparison. As far as the raptor goes, people who want to go fast run megacycle cams.

Quick Reply: Web cams racing cams...