Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

got spark,got fuel>no spark!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default got spark,got fuel>no spark!

It sounds like you have some crud in the carb and need to mtake it apart and clean it.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plug is dry? That should be enough spark.
Open the drain on the bottom of the carb, to see if gas is getting to the float bowl. The needle valve could be stuck shut. Try starting with 1/4 throttle, the pilot circuit could be plugged. Also try holding your hand over the intake snorkle,as you spin the motor, this will make it go way rich.
Has it been hard to start in the past?
If it still wont start...take the plug out, put a few drops of gas down the hole, put the plug back in, and spin it over. It should at least pop off and spin a few revs by itself. If it does...you got a carb issue.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took air breather off,held hand over the port ,it does suck very well,my hand was soaked with fuel,still no go,i open full throttle and sprayed starting fulid straight into the carb,still no go,checked plug and it was dry,did compression check,its at 110-120 so thats ok, this is baffling me to no end,i really dont no what else to try,i even pulled the plug,sprayed fuild into the cylinder with no results,<could it have jumped time somehow,if so what do i check on that end.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

if the plugs dry you not getting gas to the motor you say you hand got gas on it over the intake hole soo that means the excess gas form the carb being stuck as was previously stated is going in to the intake.

is it me or does that sounds sensible

Old 09-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its unlikely that it jumped time. Youd have bad compression if it did. And its not likely that the ignition timing is off, but thats easy to check, pull off the cover over the flywheel, and check the key, to see if its sheared or off a bit.
Did you try starting @ 1/4 throttle? If the idle circuit is plugged, this will let it start on the mid range jetting. Im thinking you have a carb issue, you got spark, and you have compression, ...fuel is all thats left.
Have you got someone to try pull starting you? Even a lawn tractor will do, ...hook up a strap, get going about 7 mph, and have the quad in 4 th gear. If its possible for the motor to start....it will.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

IF it were a carb problem,wouldnt it start off starting fluid? at least try to, i get nothing ,i never took the flywheel cover off before,is that where i was turning the 17 mm bolt to set the timing marks?i only hope it is as simple as a carb issue

Old 09-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

check your battery connection and then check the starter wires. my raptor had this problem where it was having probems starting and then there was nothing and i check everything possible and found out it had to do with the starter. if i shaked the quad and moved the handlebars back and forth with much power then it would start. i replaced the entire start button and haven't had a problem since and she starts like a beauty.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

it never stops turningover,and it always has spark,it just wont run,dont even try to run,is the probem iam having,wantta check the key but not sure where it is located at,i took off the cover where the nut is,but didnt c any keyway

Old 09-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like a timming issue to me. the keyway or something probably broke or lost adjustment somewhere that threw it off. i have never had one of those motors apart so i dont know there setup but im sure there is someone that can direct you properly. you may want to take it to a shop to have them take care of it if you think you are over your head. which it sounds like you might be.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Itll be the side of the crank, thats opposite the clutch side.
generator pickup side
Youll see a key way, in the flywheel, and chances are, it wont be sheared.
When you checked for compression...did you use a gauge? You should have 100 + psi, to be considered healthy. Have you tried bump starting it yet? Even if you have low compression, bump starting should get it going.
You said you checked the intake valve, for clearance...did you check the exhaust too?
Try pulling the plug out, and putting a few drops of 2 stroke oil in the hole, spin it over a couple of times, then put the spark plug back in, and try to start it. 2 stroke oil should burn, and burn clean, and it also will help the rings to seal and raise the compression.
When it spins over...does it seem easier than before, like it has less resistance?
Keep trying, youll figure it out. It can only be fuel, spark( and at the correct time), and compression.

Quick Reply: got spark,got fuel>no spark!