Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Are Raptor Frames this weak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Raptor Frames this weak?

Raptorboy, I seen one of your other posts and it sounds like yours is bent at the same place mine is. Is it the main crossbar at the bottom of the frame, basically where the swingarm mounts? If so, if you find something out please let me know.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

jdmj23.. My frame is bent on the front of the raptor.. kind of where the steering stem connects to the frame.. Its worse than yours cause my front end shakes when im riding fast. RPM does make a subframe and im not positive but ill say its about 400- .... Did you ever get that brake recall from yamaha? Maybe your caliper is bent a little and when the piston brakes it cant retract to let the disk free... just a thought. If you find a new frame or if your dealer is sellin one tell me the price cause i deffinatley need a new frame.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Raptorboy, yeh I got the recall done the 1st time they locked up. You might be right about the caliper, I've been telling the dealers everytime that it's the last thing that hasn't been replaced. For some reason though the dealer acts like it's coming out of their pocket to replace it. You could be right though because it's heating up as if though it's not releasing and the brake pedal becomes hard due to the fluid basically boiling past it's boiling point (DOT4). You can order the frame from any yamaha dealer, you just have to order it and I'm pretty sure it was about 650 give about 20-30 bucks ea. way. You should be able to call your yamaha dealer and they should tell you the price. It should be the same price anywhere because of it being right from Yamaha. I'll look for an aftermarket frame though.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

Check Ebay, I have seen some frames on there for sale.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

I took mine to a local atv shop to have it straightened here in Phoenix called "Screwie Lewies" after it tumbled down a mountain. (You ever seen a Raptor cry? I did.)

They straightened the aluminum sub frame and the main frame around the steering stem area. They did a pretty good job. They cold bent everything back to about 95%. You can't really tell that it is tweaked 5% unless you are looking for it. They only charged about $100.00

This was 2 and a half years ago and haven't had any problems since.

You could call around to motorsport shops in MI to see if they do it.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No sport quad can take hard crashes into tree's, or long rolling flip's off hill climbs. They aren't designed to ride you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yamaha660R
No sport quad can take hard crashes into tree's, or long rolling flip's off hill climbs. They aren't designed to ride you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I hear ya there!! Anyone else find about those raptor frames?

Old 10-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Range Rover

hey have u guys ever replaced the brake hose .i seen in cars the more u drive it.the tire gets tighter and tighter cause thebrake hose actually collaspe pop the bleeder loose then it will get free till u brake 5 to 10 times .just a suggestion

Old 10-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yamaha660R
In adding, no quad has ever been made too crash into trees. I have tumbled my Raptor on occasion and have found it just as durable as any other quad I have owned in an accident. I have owned every old sport quad except a Tecate 4....and several utilities. A lot of new ones too crash test though..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].