Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Next mods on my Rappy, help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next mods on my Rappy, help me decide.

Well, Soon I will hopefully be making some decent coin, so I will be modding the **** out of my Rappy this winter (I'm Canadian so I'll be waste deep in the white stuff).

I have nothing really for engine mods so to speak, a Yoshi slip on K&N filter and stage 2 dyno jet kit. I am thinking about 2+2 axel, +1 or +2 arms with elkas for chassis mods.

What should I do with the engine, Maybe a cam, high comp piston stuff like that, or should I put out for a big bore? I'm not a racer, just an all terrain kind of guy.

Could someone tell me the numbers those 686, 727 or whatever else kits put out for hp and torque?

Thanks a lot guys.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660R
... and not a single problem with it.

You want it too stay that way?

Old 09-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with gary...you hear of so many people of these forums that aren't happy with their ratptors once they mod them because everytime they go out they end up fixing or replacing something...

Old 09-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Same thing i hear. Im stayin outta the motor till i have two rappys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I cant stand em breakin all the time. you want reliable leave it the way it was made besides externals. Suspension is the way to go. Depending on what you ride a arms are good n bad. as is My rappy barely fits down our trails in the forrest. I dont even know if it will with the T9 Baja Wheels. dont worry about an axle until your bend the stock one. unless your gonna be flat trackin or mx.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

As far as Raptor being unreliable......I believe that a lot of the problems that people have with there Raptors stem from them trying to add extra performance but doing it as cheap as possible and not doing it right. I observe this with people I know. The rod in the Raps cannot take the power a 686 or upper mods without running the risk of failure. But to upgrade the connecting rod adds significantly to the price. Do it right or don't do it at all. Also, when jetting make sure you read up on how the different carburator circuits work and once you get a good understanding of how the carburator works, then you will understand how to jet it properly. And if you buy a used 01 Raptor and don't upgrade the tranny, when it breaks, don't complain. And for all you downers remember....Do it right or don't do it at all.

Elkas would be great...look at where you ride and decide if you want to add the extra length to the A-arms. Even if you just went with the Elkas on your stock A-arms it would be worth it. Make sure you get them set up properly depending on what you decide.

Have fun.

Old 09-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You can do it "right" all you want....but it's still less reliable. EVERYTHING has a lifetime failure expectancy....it's basic engineering. Adding more pressure through higher pressures lowers this expectancy (this means more compressio, more valve spring pressure, more power output). Simply put, an internally modified Raptor is not as reliable as a stocker. 04leraptor....after you go inside the Rap engine for upgrades check back in. Later gentlemen.
Gary

Old 09-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that everything has a life expectancy......that is why you have to rebuild $hit when it wears out. A quad is nothing more than plastic, metal, rubber and oil....you have to be realistic with your expectations. All models need rebuilding. And it is also safe to say that anything modded for more power is going to have a shortened life span (example: Top fuel-one run between rebuilds) And if you are running racing fuel, alcohol, or nitro you cannot expect miracles for livelihood out of your quad. But if you build a 686 and only get a couple of rides out of it, it would be safe to say you did something wrong with your build. You and others downed this guy when asking if he should mod it. And I would agree, but he could have a powerful gas burning 686 that would have a reasonable lifespan compared to stock if it was maintained and tuned properly.

All quads(Honda,Yamaha...etc) can lose some portion of reliability when modded, especially when the builder doesn't have the skills or info to do it.

You gave him a short answer "You want it to stay that way" I was trying to give more info so he can look at all the different options and decide if he should go into the motor. And the other member responses made like Raptors are so unreliable. I personally believe a lot of Raptor failures have more to do with owner/builder screw ups. (But I agree Yamaha should have got the tranny and one way taken care of themselves) But each model has it's own problems.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Simply rebuilding compared too going high performance leaning on the engine for more power is like comparing apples too oranges. I agree with most of your post though. Have a good holiday weekend gents.
Gary

Old 09-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Im sorry if i gave the impression its worthless. But the guy said he is an All Terrain rider. To me Thats woods and crazy trails and stuff. with the right gearing the stock power is substantial. where top speed is not a concern. im just sayin for the money stay outta the motor and do the other stuff first. and then you'll still have money to fix crap when ya break it. cuz stuff breaks when you ride hard. hittin trees, droppin and climbin rock ledges, and if your a woods or all terrain rider to me that would say your range is of importance. start changin cams and displacement and carbs and stuff you drinkin more fuel. now you have to get an IMS tank its an endless cycle [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] MAN i love quads..

Old 09-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

You have a good weekend too Gary....My Rap's isn't down but I am, I am trying to heal up so I can ride this weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Adios

Quick Reply: Next mods on my Rappy, help me decide.