Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

04 Raptor blowing smoke and leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Raptor blowing smoke and leaking coolant

I have an 04 Raptor with a DJ jet kit, a proflow intake with a K&N, and the stock exhaust with the S/A removed. I am running with no lid and I cut off the back of my air box. I am jetted at 146/148. I just re-oiled my K&N and jetted down from 148/150. When I started it up, it blew out some smoke out of the exhaust whenever I would rap on the throttle. I then noticed some smoke coming form under the seat, but couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. The smoke from the under the seat has stopped it seems, but it still blows smoke out the exhaust, and I noticed coolant leaking from the bottom of my water pump out of a little hole. What is going on with my bike? I am supposed to go to Winchester or Florence tomorrow, but if I can't figure out what is goin on, I wil have to sit out and that would not be fun. I need help ASAP. Thanks for any info you have.

-Brandon

p.s. I haven't ridden it, all this happened while sitting in my garage in neutral.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

When you re-oil your K&N filter you need to let it set-up over night or the oil will seep thru the filter and then into the motor.. It won't hurt anything but usually will smoke for a while. Buddy did this on his harley, wasn't thinking about what he had really done and pulled went thru a bunch of hassle getting it to the dealer.. Only problem was the oil on the filters!

Let is set for a while and it will stop.. You also may have put too much oil on it.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

The coolant leak I think it unrelated.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure how long you have had it like this, or what your elevation is, but those jets sound very small. When you get it running, be sure to check the plug, it may have something to do with the smoke in addition to the oil from the filter.

Old 09-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

The smoke could be from over oiling the filter.
If you have coolant dripping from the weep hole in the bottom of the water pump, be prepared to replace the water pump seals NOW !!! The pump leaks coolant from the weep hole when the front seal goes bad. When the back seal goes out, it starts leaking coolant into your crankcase. You dont want that happening.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

Well it has stopped smoking. That may have been because of the oil like you guys suggested, or I might not have let it warm up enough, but it doesn't do it anymore. As for the leaking, that stopped too, could it have been from standing my bike up? I stood it on it's grab bar to put my skids back on, then after that I let it down, started it, and that's when I noticed the leak. Would that have caused it? 1Less, you think I am jetted to lean? I thought I might have been too rich. I have 146/148 right now and I ride mostly on the dunes at the beach. but I live at about 600-1000ft. If you think different sizes would be better, lemme know and I will try it out. Thanks.

-Brandon

Old 09-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your fine with the setup you have and those dynojets.