Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Drive belt... is there an alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Drive belt... is there an alternative?

The Dayco part number is HP2005
Cliff

Old 10-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks

Old 10-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pwrx4d
Well, my top speed has fallen 6-7 mph, the Grizzly does not have the take off it used to, and it will let out a squeal every now and then on take off. I have 2800 miles on the bike now, which sees everyday use on the farm. The belt has gotten wet before.........(accidentally hit a low water slab crossing that had 2ft of rushing water going across, needless to say me and the bike ended up 60ft down stream, wow what a ride) a few times. The bike has been serviced regularly. I know Artic Cat drive belts should be replaced every 1000 miles, so I have heard. Yamaha wants 106.00 for there belt, when Dayco wants 34.95 for a belt for the Kodiak, thats why I was asking if they might be the same belt. Thanks
Cliff

Damn, thats like the same exact problem that I have. I just started a new post of my problem before I stumbeled across this one. I only have 1500 miles on mine. But my belt doesn't look bad. I've even cleaned the inside of the casing out and nothing. I use a clutch kit and it seems to do that a few months after it was installed. Let me know if that new belt works. That would cure my headache.

Old 11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Bringing back up an old post. Hey pwrx4d, did that new belt ever solve your problem? I'm still having the same prob as you did.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Will a polaris belt work??? Just a thought.........we had a kodiak, and it got grease on the belt(who knows how)......and it ruined it......the belt was like 300 bucks!!!! I about fell down when they said that.....I'm used to a polaris belt being about 30bucks..........

Old 11-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

Ok here is the poo on the belts. I have a Kodiak 450 2004 and I have had it about 13 months. In that 13 months I have been through about 6-7 belts. If you get water in your clutch case then IT WILL DESTROY your belt. Dayco is not a reliable belt for the Grizzly or the Kodiak. I have tried it and it made 2 outings with it before it shredded. Dayco was contacted about it and they told me that they are coming out with a new belt for the Grizz and the Kodiak but at this time the one the have WILL NOT WORK. It is true that you will lose HP and top end because the belt is stretched. As far as paying $300 for a belt???? That is extremelyhigh. I pay $120 a belt and if you go to www.partsfish.com you can get the belt for that price. The only way I have been able to make a belt last is to snorkle the clutch case which I have and I ave gotten about 3 months so far on my belt. You can check out my pics and see that I run the **** out of my bike. Good luck guys

Old 11-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Range Rover

yamaha needs to re think tahat belt idea

Old 11-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

The belt idea is a good concept but like I said it needs to be snorkled. Water gets in there and if it is allowed to sit in the and not dry out it will swell the belt and it will shred. Snorkle has been the best solution so far

Old 11-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there guys, I hope no one has went out and bought a Dayco belt for there Grizzly, Dayco had told me the HP-2005 belt would work. Well they were wrong, it's way to short for the Grizzly. The price that I gave for it, 34.99 did not sound bad compared to the 106.00 from Yamaha. Well that Dayco belt is on E-bay as of right now for-sale. I broke down and bought the Yamaha belt. I did not get to replace the belt yet. I did take it apart and checked everything. The clutches had plenty of grease in them yet. Raiders1, I guess your idea of the belt stretching is right. because the belt is still not worn below the minimum width, which I think is 1.18", correct me if I am wrong here. I was still at about 1.25" and I think a new belt is 1.31". So I hope no one went out and bought the Dayco belt for there Grizzly, if so, I am very sorry. I went back to the website where I bought the belt at which was Manufacturers Supply . They have it for 29.99 now. Well thanks for the input guys. Have a great day.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

pwrx4d, the Dayco as it stands right now will not hold up on a Grizz. It stretches very easy and will not hold up under the extreme pressure of the 450 or the Grizz. Unfortunately until someone can redesign the belt then Yamaha has the best belt right now. They just came out with a brand new belt that is supposed to be redesigned. I bought one and I am runnning it on my 450 with no problems so far.

Quick Reply: Grizzly Drive belt... is there an alternative?