Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Steering Problem Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Steering Problem Please Help!!

My friend turn it over at a very low speed, just barley turned over, but my steering was tweaked and now my handle bars are slightly turned to the right when I steer straight (they are not bent). Can anyone tell me how to adjust it straight? I looked in Clymer but can't see it.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

You might have tweaked your steering stem, or check you a-arms you might have bent the aluminum upp a-arms, for example check my pics, for a example of a bent a-arm, my steering stem is straight, and so are my renthals, a-arms are shot, you might have been your tie-rods, also

Old 09-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

Pull out your stem and have a look at the splines on the end where the rod plate slides on. I barely rolled mine over at low speed but it twisted just like yours. You can adjust th tie rods to compensate for this but beware! You will steer more in one direction than the other and one more hit could break something big!

Old 09-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took a hard look at it and notice that the left side only is toed out (I have no idea why) this had to have happen after the roll over (I am talking this thing squeaked over) So I adjusted the tie rod on that side, it seems to be better but was wondering how far can you adjust them out before it comes out?

Old 09-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem with my roll, check you a-arms they are probabley bent.

Old 09-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

It does not look bent. I looked at everythingand nothing looked out of place accept the alignment of the left side.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

when i rolled mine the tie rod bent and the next time i rolled it the tie rod end broke and my friend pulled the tie rod end out of the tie rod we fixed this by welding the peices back together

Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

their is a reason why your left tire is "toeing in" like that, you bent something 100% sure, most likely a-arm or tie rod, you have to figure it 0out. When i wrecked it took me 2 weeks to figure out why my front tire was toeing in like that, problem was the a-arms, that i looked at 100 times before was bent bad, im just saying you could have missed something, cuz you were in a hurry like i was. Look at my pics of my a-arms and compare.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If just your steering stem is tweaked, you have no way to make it strait besides some creative adjustment of the tie rods. Thats assuming everything else is strait. The stem is very weak on the raptor and its probably your problem. I suggest a new one, either aftermarket or reinforced or modified stock.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Range Rover

If it is not your stem, which would put both wheels out of adjustment it could be A-Arms. Stand the bike up on its rear grab bar and rear wheels, remove your front wheels and start taking measurements from symetrical points on both sides of the bike to the ground. This will tell you if anything is even a little bent.

Quick Reply: Raptor Steering Problem Please Help!!