Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor or banshee

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor or banshee

Well that fixes that, he was talking to you.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

You are comparing night and day!!! the only thing they have in common is they are both very fast.

You get a 2 stroke Banshee if you find that pinging sound coming from the dou exhaust beautiful with the smell of that castor bean oil sweet, if the way power comes out of nowhere that scares you is exhilarating to you. if the mixing of the pre-mix has you feeling like a mad scientist.

Now you get a Raptor if you like thunder roar for the sound of exhaust, the even predictable power at all throttle setting, the ease of having reverse.

The closest analogy I find is comparing a Porsche(Banshee) with a Corvette(Raptor).

If your an adrenaline junky like me I'd really lean towards a Banshee, if your more of "no roller coasters" type I'd say Raptor.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JohnnySplat
Well now that you've confused me beyond repair I'll just clarify that (if this was in question at all) in my opinion, a shee is a faster i.e. quicker ride than a rap. Throw in a few turns and that'll even it out, but when it comes to straight arm-ripping power the shee has an advantage.
I will loose a stock suspension Raptor beyond site in a few turns that it's not even funny with my stock suspension Banshee, I can wip around a turning while breaking the rear end loose at almost any speed that wont have me over sliding, the Raptor can't slide at all, or lets just say slide very easly at high speeds.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Although saying that they are as different as night and day is very true, you cant ignore the fact that they are probably the most often compared bikes on the market. I have already backed up both sides of the argument, in my opinion, quite fairly, so its up to you trailbike4me. Hiram's description is also very true, but in any case it's a matter of preferance. My dad owns a rap and I own a shee, we would never consider trading bikes. He says the rap is the best choice for him, he likes being able to run it a gear high and not having to worry about dropping revs climbing a hill, he loves the torquey motor. I love the high revving motor, the two-stroke scream, the power hit and the low ride height of my shee. I love how I have to work it a little to make it do what I want, I dont want a rolling couch ride. Also hiram, I agree that we shee rider's can lose rappys pretty easy, but you have to give them a little credit, otherwise they whine too much. Its a matter of riding style and riding skill. I beat a 400ex with my recon 250 before in the trails, but thats because the guy didnt know how to ride. I can ride a raptor fast too, and I can usually beat anything else out there with a raptor, as long as its not a heavily modded rap or shee, BUT I can always beat them easier with the shee.

Old 09-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Very true JohnnySplat, I liked your comparisions too and agree it's all about how involved you want to be while riding, and I would say riding abilities due get a work out while on a Shee that when we get on another quad we ride like pro's since everything else is so much easier and requires less rider input.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:37 AM
Range Rover

I own both a raptor and a banshee. If im going out riding on trails or new places that im not sure of how the terrain is going to be, i just end up riding the raptor, its got a lot of low end for muddy situations, tight trails, decent acceleration, all that good stuff. However, if im ready to go ripping all day in more open areas, ill ride the banshee. These bikes handle and run completely different, so its imperative you try them out first. When im on the raptor, I miss that 2 stroke snap and adrenaline rush, however, the raptor has a more constant power and is easy to drive. Plus you dont have to worry about keeping your mixed gas can around [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If you want to putz around here and there and then want to race around on occasion, get a raptor, if you want to go like hell for the most part, get a banshee.

Old 09-07-2004, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

i cant stand four stroke power,i just cant get used to it.and i hate the compression braking. It takes 450 cc's four stroke,to make the same power as 250 cc's 2 stroke

Old 09-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

to guy whats up i raced a shee lots of times every time i can beat it by like a lenth not even but as soon as i start to rev out in 5th he hits 6th and starts to pull up and just passes me so i dont know its not to often that a guy finds that kinda open road to test them so

Old 09-18-2004, 04:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

but we will lose to a DS and a yfz there fast bikes we can beat 400z, 400ex, dvx 400, 250R's 450R's want to race a preddy but not many of them around up here i lost bad to a DS though we can hang with him to 3rd or 4th then he passes us he threw a rock right at me and broke my glasses in my face i dont wear a helmet so peace RIDE THE BLUE

Old 09-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: biggie22
but we will lose to a DS and a yfz there fast bikes we can beat 400z, 400ex, dvx 400, 250R's 450R's want to race a preddy but not many of them around up here i lost bad to a DS though we can hang with him to 3rd or 4th then he passes us he threw a rock right at me and broke my glasses in my face i dont wear a helmet so peace RIDE THE BLUE
Ahhhh, ok..........
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: raptor or banshee