Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WOLVERINE MAINTENANCE HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOLVERINE MAINTENANCE HELP NEEDED

HEY GUYS!

I just bought a Wolverine! I am still in the "break in" period and have a few (new owner) questions. Will ya help me out?

1. What do you do to keep the plastics looking decent? Carnuba wax or just armor all?(yeah, yeah I know, it's a quad)

2. What are the main points to use WD40 on?

3. What are the points to use lithium grease or something of the like on? Do I need to at all?

4. How about regular grease... any areas that need this?

5. What do you use to keep the rubber bushings from drying out...

I know it isn't a car or anything! I just am a major maintenance nut... I like my toys to last...

Can you help me out with any other things I should look at? boots, etc...

I have searched and found great information on this topic, I just wanted to hear from other Yamaha owners about how you keep your Wolvies and warriors...

Hey! are the front shock boots worth it?

Where is a good site to get a spare tire/wheel and maintenance tools for the wolvie?

Help me out here guys!

E

Old 09-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Lowend5
HEY GUYS!

I just bought a Wolverine! I am still in the "break in" period and have a few (new owner) questions. Will ya help me out?

1. What do you do to keep the plastics looking decent? Carnuba wax or just armor all?(yeah, yeah I know, it's a quad)
--------WASH IT AFTER EVERY RIDE.. I DONT USE CLEANERS LIKE ARMOR AL BECAUSE IT ATTRACTS THE DUST.. IF YOU GOT A COLOR THAT WILL SHOW STRESS MARKS THEY CAN EASILY BE WORKED OUT WITH A HEAT GUN.

2. What are the main points to use WD40 on?
--------I WOULDNT USE IT UNTIL THINGS BEGIN TO SQUEEK AND WHAT NOT. BUT WHEN IT SQUEEKS THEN PUT SOME ON
I HAVE HEARD THAT PEOPLE SPRAY IT ON THERE ENGINES WHEN THEY ARENT GOING TO BE RIDING IT FOR A WHILE TO PREVENT RUST.

3. What are the points to use lithium grease or something of the like on? Do I need to at all?
-------YOU WILL NOTICE GREESE CERTS(sp?) ON THE BIKE ON A ARMS AND NEAR SHOCKS AND MOST MOVING PARTS MAKE SURE THAT THOSE ALWAYS HAVE GREESE IN THEM

4. How about regular grease... any areas that need this?
------ YOU MAY WANT TO OCCASIONALLY CLEAN AND GREESE YOUR CHAIN

5. What do you use to keep the rubber bushings from drying out...
------DONT GET CORRODING CHEMICALS ON THEM IVE NEVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH ANY RUBBER BUSHINGS WEARING OUT.. AND IF THEY DO IM PRETTY SURE ITS AN/EASY AND QUICK FIX.

I know it isn't a car or anything! I just am a major maintenance nut... I like my toys to last...

Can you help me out with any other things I should look at? boots, etc...

I have searched and found great information on this topic, I just wanted to hear from other Yamaha owners about how you keep your Wolvies and warriors...

Hey! are the front shock boots worth it?

Where is a good site to get a spare tire/wheel and maintenance tools for the wolvie?

Help me out here guys!

E

IF THAT HELPS..

pm>> IF U HAVE MORE Q??

Old 09-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Souds like he hit all your questions pretty well- except I know there isn't a chain on that quad so.... Dont have to worry about that. You got the black Wolverine, right? I've heard scratches and dirt show more, but in my opionon so what... the black bike looks ten times better then the white one- you got the 04 with the black wheels..... sweet! I would just grease all moving parts, dont worry to much about wd40. Clean the carb out at least once a year- change the oil a few times. It sounds to me that you will take great care of your machine. I would think about a-arm guards and cv guards if they make them. Also maybe a skid-plate. Anyway have a great time with your new Wolvy. I 'll let you all know when I get mine!! I know there are a few other wolverine riders in this forum that could shed some light on your questions- I guess they are just busy at the time...

Old 09-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

Yep! No chain on this quad!

"You got the black Wolverine, right?" - Yep It's black, I wanted the blue but this was the only one in the area.

"I've heard scratches and dirt show more, but in my opionon so what... the black bike looks ten times better then the white one- you got the 04 with the black wheels..... sweet!" - you got it!

Yes the wheels are black... I would like to know where I can get a spare set... any ideas?

"I would just grease all moving parts" - Lithium grease?

"dont worry to much about wd40." - actually my quad is brand new and I am seeing rust already... I was going to use wd40 to clean the area up...

"I would think about a-arm guards and cv guards if they make them. Also maybe a skid-plate. Anyway have a great time with your new Wolvy. I 'll let you all know when I get mine!! I know there are a few other wolverine riders in this forum that could shed some light on your questions- I guess they are just busy at the time... "

Yes I am looking at the guards and skid plate...

Thanks for the great info...

E

Old 09-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Dont know for sure about the extra set of wheels- but If I were in your shoes- I would look at a new set of wheels and tires. I've heard that the Wolverine wheels dent and bend fairly easy... If this is the case maybe some new chromes with some 25's would be in the future. Also- the I've heard the Wolverines wheels are expensive. Sorry I'am not sure where to find them. As for lithium grease this is what I've read about it...A multi-purpose lubricant suitable for all moving parts. Excellent general purpose lubricant...I would get other opinions on that. Go ahead and use the wd40 for rust spots...

Old 09-09-2004, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

Lithium grease or silicone work good for lubricants. The only grease zerks on this quad are on the u-joints, which kind of stinks. You might as well expect your rear brake to squeal a little once you get some miles on it, still haven't figured out a cure for it though. Altogether, the wolvie is a great quad and I'm sure you will love it.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

Rock777,

Hey! thanks for the shout back!

Where did you get the Oxlite boot guards? Do you know of any good online shop that sells ATV accessories like this?

E

Old 09-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Range Rover

Denniskirk.com, Rockymountainatv.com, and cabelas.com are always good places to start. The first thing I always do though when I am going to buy is check ebay first, you can get some great deals if you stumble onto them. There are some other good stores that I can't think of, but if you go to google and type what you are looking for, you can usually run acrossed some stores with good deals. At least thats what I do. I don't know if you are looking for a skid plate at all, but if you are there are all kinds and most of the aluminum ones are $100 or more. The one from Maier is made from a material called something like polypethelene or something weird. Anyway, it is super strong, won't crack, and best of all won't dent like some aluminum ones and it is about half the price. Just in case you are interested, cause mine has treated me wonderul through some hard riding. It actually helps you slide over some obstacles easier do to the smooth bottom. Anyway, I'll shut up for now, hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Rock- how do you like your supertrapp?

Old 09-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the online info... I ordered the Maier Belly Skid from cabelas.com. The only thing is that they didn't have on for the Wolvie... I noticed that This part fits:
Yamaha YFM400F Kodiak 1996-1999
Yamaha YFM400 Big Bear 2WD 2000-2001
Yamaha YFM350F Big Bear 4WD 1997-1999
Yamaha YFM400 Big Bear 4WD 2000-2001
Yamaha YFM350U Big Bear 2WD 1998-1999
Yamaha YFM400F Big Bear 4WD 2002-2004
Yamaha YFM350FX Wolverine 1995-2004

All cabelas had that matched was the Yamaha YFM400F Kodiak 1996-1999. Hope this on efits my wolvie...

Do you have hand guards? I am thinking that I probably won't get these unless I really rack my hand with a branch or something. What are your thoughts on the hand guards?

Where did you get the Oxlite boot guards? I can't seem to find any online...

E

Quick Reply: WOLVERINE MAINTENANCE HELP NEEDED