Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee loading up at low revvs...what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee loading up at low revvs...what gives?

I got this 02 banshee from this dood for a song...hes gettin divorced so he just didnt really want it. Anyways its in real good physical condition with some pro-circuit pipes, boost bottle, twist throttle, billet front grill, and a barnett clutch. anywho! It starts real sweet, 1 kick. However it wants to hesitate, like its all loaded up, untill you kinda get the power-band to kick in. Then on upshift it wants to choke down again etc...It still has the same gas in it from when i picked it up, and I dont think he ran it in quite some time. My first instinct is to take it to the desert and run the gas through it and maybe get the gum outta the jets. What do you think?

Old 09-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Dose it have the stock carbs? What pilots and mains are you running? What clip postion is the needle in? Did you check to see if your air filter is clean?

Old 09-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

I say plug check. My guess is that it isnt jetted and tuned right. A compression check is never a bad idea either though.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Range Rover

Do all of the above. If you just got the bike, I would go through it completely. Kinda gettin to know each other. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

if its been sitting for some time, empty gas, clean the carbs and check ur jets, get new plugs, and clean that air filter, then run it and see if its jetted properly.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with sandfox24, but is this bog when you first start the quad? 2 strokes need to warm up a few minutes and then ran up in the powerband to clear things up and get warmed up. If it's after it's all warmed up then adjusting the air screw on each carb will clear it up. In is richer and out is leaner go half a turn at a time one way and see if it better, if not go the other way 1 full turn and make sure to do both carbs the same.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right on! i guess its a good think my garage is kinda set up for a shop anyways...im thinkin imma need it. To answer the question, it still bogs even after its warmed up. I sprinted it up the street for a few minutes this afternoon to see if it would clear up...the smoking got better but it still wants to bog down off the start. Ill go through airfilter, and that jet adjustment in the mornin with some new gas for starters. Im thinkin that will help...once in the powerband it runs like a raped date. I havent owned a 2 stroke since I was 13...and im 26 now. soo im on the novice side of the mechanics.

Thanks for the input guys

Old 09-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

I had that problem on one of my banshee's, i changed the jetting and works perfect now. I also ran seafoam cleaner through a tank of gas and completely cleaned up the carbs and the whole motor, runs like a champ.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

where can i purchase a product like seafoam cleaner?

Old 09-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Have you ever had a Banshee before? Just curious......because all Banshees bog until you hit the powerband.....you have to learn to ride it in the powerband at all times, which means alot of shifting and clutching (which is what makes them so fun, IMO!). It is going to bog if you try to ride it like a 4-stroke......when you start it out, if you just let the clutch out and give it gas....it's going to bog like crazy until you get into the powerband....you have to keep the clutch pulled in until you hear the powerband kick in, and then slip out the clutch (don't pop it or you will end up on your backside)......and do this every time you shift, and you should be able to do it when downshifting, too.........I learned to keep mine in the powerband all the time - so there was no bogging.......

So.....sorry if you have ridden Banshee's before, I'm not trying to treat you like a newbie....but it IS possible, if you've never ridden one before, that it's just your riding style that is the issue.

If you HAVE, and your bike is just messed up a little, I APOLOGIZE!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'd do a quick check of you intake boots to see if either of them have cracked - boost bottles tend to put pressure on them and crack them. That can make it run pretty crappy......

Quick Reply: Banshee loading up at low revvs...what gives?