Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee low revv loading revealed...whats really going on!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee low revv loading revealed...whats really going on!

for those that witnessed my first topic, ill get to the meat of the bones...others that havent, I posted earlier about low rev sluggishness.

Ohh yea, today I went on the basic tour de engine. Evidently the cycle was on numerous trips to Glamis, in the IMperial sand dunes, southern CA.
yea no big deal, but someone shoulda told the dood that owned the banshee before me to oil his filters and grease the connection to the intake. fricken trail of greasy dirt leadin right to the carbs.
Anyways, im thinkin maybe ill luck out and nothin got blown inside the guts. SO, I put new gas in there, fire it up, and same issue. Lean the jet out 1/2 turn...bogus results, bring it back...bogus results. SOO outta curiousity, on the right carb, I twist the jet in till it stops so i have a reference point for the left side....2 1/2 turns. When i back it out, it brings the threaded sleeve with the adjustment screw...WTF! Then I decide to back the screw all the way out...Thats when I make the grim discovery that the tip is littered with Southern California Dune sand.

Evidently Im going to be working on this bike. Im totally pissed, and the dood I bought it off isnt around for comment tonight.

It has the factory carbs...

IF U WERE ME would you:

A: Kill myself
B: Kill the dood who sold it to me
C: Bring it to a mechanic for a full diagnosis (but i think the top end is still okay..i hope)
D: Get some metric wrenches and clean out them carbs, put it back together and cross fingers
E: All of the above, killing myself last

If I get going by meself are there any good guides I can buy to help me along on my quest for 2cycle domination?

thanks...P.S. the good news is i bought my wife a 98blaster with a big bore kit at 240cc and it runs absolutely fabulous..so im hittin .500 at least.

Old 09-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

if u have any knowledge of carbs, or any mechanical experience, i suggest getting metric tools( you will need them eventually with a quad) and try to clean your carb. if after that there is something still not right, well then take it to a mechanic. only prob there is 50+/hr for them to work on it, but try to do it yourslef first

little saying -- " you hear it, you forget it"
" you see it, you remember it"
" you do it, you learn"

Old 09-12-2004, 02:50 AM
Range Rover

I wouldn't get to upset. You got it cheap, buy a clymer (ebay) and rebuild your carbs.

Check the link, it is worth it... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with Sandfox24, get a manual and do the work yourself...You may want to do some mods to it one day, so you need to learn how to work on it sooner or later... This is unless your ok with paying someone big $bucks$ to do the work for you....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

cool, I got that guide ordered