Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What should I do about my raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do about my raptor?

I bought a 2001 raptor on june 6th 2004. I get it home and come to find out the dealer added another 594 dollars on my bill for shipping!!!! why would they need to ship it when the person traded it in there and they sold it there. I called the dealer and they said they were going to talk about it at a meeting. They still have not got back to me on that. That was the first problem!! My engine is knocking slightly and it was like that when I bought the quad, When I bought the quad I didn't know much about it but I wanted the quad so bad I had to buy it. I thought that sense I was getting it from a dealer it would be in good shape. I had some friends look at it and they said I need to take it to the dealer and see if they will do anything for me. Is there anything I can do if they will not fix it for me? Or am I screwed? The knocking is coming from the bottem end, my friends say it is eather a push rod or maybe a clutch. Is there any commen knocking problems with raptors that I could easily fix myself? Any input on the situation would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-20-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Start off by saying welcome to the forum (That's the good news, cuz now you can get help) Now the bad news. If it's a 2001 that you bought from a dealer as a trade in, then your chances of it being a lemon is high. Not saying all 01's are bad, but they did make improvements in the 02 and above to the motor and transmission parts. Saying this, the 01's that are still good, people want to keep and the lemons, they want to get rid of. I would pitch a b!itch and get something done about it and may want to ask if this quad was serviced there or where the guy was from, or get any of his info. because he's in the clear, the dealer already made the deal with him and he's done, so he'll probably tell u any work or problems that he had. The dealer will probably not give you the money back, but anything's worth a shot. Just be sure to get a second opinion on the motor work from anybody but that dealer because they will not tell you the truth if there is something major wrong that they don't want to fix.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

Did you already sign a contract and was the $600 on the contract that you signed. If it was, you're out of luck because you agreed to pay what is on the contract.
As far as the knocking goes, I know when you buy a car you have 3 days in which to take it back if there is something wrong. It's called the lemon law. I don't know if it applys to ATV's though.
How much did you pay for the quad and what all does it have on it. If you got a fairly good deal on it and it has enough aftermarket parts, it may be worth keeping and rebuilding the motor. Your dealership sounds like a pretty shady organization and you probably won't get any satisfaction out of dealing with them shy of taking them to court.

Just curious, if you bought it in June, have you been riding it all this time. If so, how has it been running?

Old 09-20-2004, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Guess your raptor aint as bad azz as you thought huh? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If you signed the contract and it had the $600 on it, your screwed, also most dealers make you sign a AS-IS document stating that you get NO WARRANTY, so if you signed something like this and didnt get any warranty on it, looks like you will be getting a new crank and might as well port/polish/bore/cam it...Good luck!

Old 09-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for everyones input. My friends dad is a mechanic and he has helped me find the problem with the motor. All that was knocking was the gear on the crankshaft. It was loose. That is an easy fix and that makes me a happy man. About the 600 bucks though I have confronted the dealer again and they say they cannot do anything for me. Well I say that is bulsh#$!!! I am going to do my research on laws concerning this situation and I might have a case against them. If I don't well then o'well... live and learn right? Right now my motor is torn apart so I figure I might get some head work done, I was thinking of port and polish and new full exhasut system. Any suggestions on what I can do to my engine right now to gain some horsepower? (but not anything too expensive!!!!)Thank you
Matt

Old 09-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

full exhaust, new airfilter, cam, high comp. piston, and port work would be the easiest ways to get power.