Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

je piston breaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default je piston breaking

zoombie- yea okay

I thought kenzs was still pushing the known to break JE's??? So tell us more about the CP's.

I have broke 1 je and seen many many more broke JE's. In all fairness my broke JE was self inflicted. I had Bob pust the envolope on it. I forget the weight but if memory serves me right it was lightened 60 grams thru a differenet pin ( not TI) and lots material was removed from different spots on the piston

Old 09-21-2004, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

He does but you can get a cp thru him.... I'm not farmiliar with C.P. I'm going Ross

Old 09-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

We have used the Je pistons for a long time with out any problems.Has any one determined the true cause of the said failures? We have been trying CP products and they seem to be a great piston, and the Ross piston is nice as well, just spendy.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

The JE 101 and 105 was designed for Porsche ten years ago for a two valve air cooled 911. Porsche does not rev to 9000 Rpm's, like the Raptor. OR could it be the forging of the day? The BMEP (Brake Means Effective Pressure) which is the Average pressure on the dome of the piston has exceded the stress factor of a 10 year old design. Also with the "Pin Boss" being so far apart it exerts a "High Flex Factor" on the Wrist Pin causing it to sieze (Galding) and flex the piston also, thus fracturing. With the Robertson Custom CP Pistons the Space between the pin boss is 25 mm and the JE is 30mm. An the design is only a year old with a new design coming out next month. The new piston will go to a guy named Michael from KC, MO. who has a 686 from another builder he is not happy with. Cause his buddy's with the Robertson 686's keep Spankin Him. I guess he's gettin the 727 treatment.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 11:1 je that broke, ..

Old 09-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

What caused the break????

Old 09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

KENZ, I will formally invite you and friends from the other forum to our Amargosa drags after we get dated tomorrow.
You just cant go too hard on me, Im just a beginner.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds good , we will be waiting to see the date.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Every rod that i have seen on a raptor has always shown some gaulding on the right side where the wrist pin goes thru. I have seen it in the factory rods and in the carrillo rods. Every new carrillo rod that i have seen has a sloppy fit where the wrist pin goes thru also. the Ross pistons are pricey but have a piston failure from a JE and see what the repair bill runs. say what you want but in my opinion if you ride weekly and race stay away from JE. If you only ride a time or 2 a month or every few months maybe you can go with JE??

I do not know if there are a bunch of different designs of pistons from JE, Ross or not. I know that Ross builds pistons to Craycraft specs. I have wondered if you can order the exact same ross piston bob uses. Bob orders them 12-24 at a time, not sure if they (ross) even have raptor pistons on the shelf. I think duncan racing uses ross also.

Quick Reply: je piston breaking