Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 raptor bottom end upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 raptor bottom end upgrades

hello, i am doing a complete re-build of an 01 raptor. i am going to be using this motor in a superlite project that will be raced. i want upgrades but nothing wild. first step is to upgrade trans and rod if needed. clutch, piston, cam etc. can be upgraded later.

at what point do you up-grade the stock rod with regard to comp ratio? what is approx max comp with stock rod?

does crank get upgraded with high comp piston?

is there any difference between an 01 trans re-build kit from alba and an 02 trans? if so, which to use?

any other bottom end stuff while im in there?

thanks,
G.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Hasn't given up on the 660 just yet...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 raptor bottom end upgrades

There are a bunch of different ways to go. Yes update the trans to an 02 style, they are stronger and have a little better ratios.A good rod is always a good idea. I had mine done through Craycraft racing but he sends his cranks to Fallicon( for rod install and balance). Well he did on mine anyway I am pretty sure he still does. He also carries other rods than the Carrilo including titanium. As far as the compression to rod relationship I dont see where anything has been proven except poor bore machine work or matching to the piston. There have been some JE piston problems in the past. Ross makes a little heavier piston and is what I run. I believe CP makes a good one also.
A GYTR clutch is a great setup and I have used others and they just have not held up for me. Bob Craycraft can give you prices on motor work and trans parts and any other question you may have(and he is in texas). I say that because I have had GREAT service and advise from him.
You might as well upgrade the Starter 1 way too.
check these out and they have good prices on trans parts. www.ripperracing.com