ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Big Bear 2x4 or Wolverine???????? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/174041-big-bear-2x4-wolverine.html)

MrDumass 09-27-2004 02:41 PM

Big Bear 2x4 or Wolverine????????

The choices I have narrowed down to are these two quads. I will be modding either as follows. The big bear will get a pipe and a jet with a new air filter and a skid plate for now, tires and wheels later. The Wolvy would get the 424 and a pipe/jet/air filter and c/v guards for now. Wheels and tires and skid plate later. Which one will be more reliable? I do mostly trail rides/hunting/playing in mud/ and working. Please help!! As I will buying this week!! All comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!!

CmyBackULose 09-27-2004 03:18 PM

IMHO I would have to say the Wolverine. The major drawback fun-wise of the wolverine is the fact it is a full-time 4x4 but the Warn 424 kit makes the wolverine more versatile. I have had a lot more fun with my wolverine since installing the 424 kit. I use my wolverine for hunting, trail riding, mudding and working. Hope this helps!

MrDumass 09-27-2004 03:31 PM

Please guys- I know there are a lot of these quads out there!!

MrDumass 09-27-2004 04:41 PM

I dont mean to sound anal or anything, but you guys are my only reliable source for info.

jd4115 09-27-2004 06:28 PM

I don't know about the Big Bear, but I love my Wolvy. It's not a work quad, but if you want something that is bullit proof, fun, and will get you places go with the Wolverine.

MNWolverine01 09-27-2004 06:30 PM

Mrdumbass,

With these as your final options, I would definately go with the wolverine. I drive a 2001 wolverine and my brother has a big bear and my dad has an older big bear that he kept for working after buying a new machine to play. So I have plenty of experience with both. I am actually going to get my 424 select soon, I am anxiously awaiting. From what I have been told it is amazing what difference it makes and that is to a machine that I love in the stock form. Another thing to think about is the amount of mods you can put into a wolverine. I do like the big bear, but if you want a 2wheel drive to play you might as well have the 4wheel drive option. Especially if you want to go play in the mud. I wish I could give more advice on worth while mods, but I have actually asked on this site with very little reply. The only mod advice I could give is don't get too big of front tires. For example, I run 25x10x12 titan 589's all around. If I were to do it again I would get 25x10 in the back and 25x8 in the front. It is not to bad, but it hurt the low end a touch. With the proper mods I am sure I could get more low end power then it started with. I just wish I knew which ones were worth while. If anyone else is reading this and could help with mod ideas I am all ears.

To anyone with a 424 select I am wondering how long it will take me to install it?

Ryan

SpDdEmOn 09-27-2004 07:06 PM

Get the Wolverine and you wont be dissapointed. You can do anything you want to with this machine. Its not the best choice for a work quad, but if you have to, then just throw the racks on it and you're off. When you want to ride fast or race, strip them off and take off. Its a blast and I think its the best handling 4x4 out there.

yamihoo 09-27-2004 07:33 PM

MN Wolverine, I've read it takes about 2 hrs to install the 424 if your not a pro.

MrDumass 09-28-2004 12:05 PM

Is the Wolverine tough? I like the fact that the big bear has the front rack, and more of a tough looking front end. I like to be able to plow right over little sapplings in some of the trails I ride, or if I need to get a deer out of the woods 1 mile back in the bush. You know what I'am saying? I dont need to race every quad I see, but I dont want to be the slowest either, hence the mods I'am planning for.. I dont think I would like a rack on the front of the Wolvy. I dont think the put one on the 04-05's. Anyway lets hear some comments.. Thanks again

yamihoo 09-28-2004 12:27 PM

I was heavily considering buying the 04' Wolvy, I love the racy ultility, its one of a kind. However, it is only a 350, and light weight. BUT of course with the "light weight" comes some rigidity loss. You have to be missing some metal somewhere to be at 450lbs. I looked at it for hours, test drove one. I think it will do alot of utility, but not anything real heavy duty of course. (example: My 650 prairie pushed a 500lb propane tank across the yard, I doubt a Wolvy will do that) I would say if you ride 70% or more vs. utility, I'd buy one. You can always boost the power...and no, they don't come with a front rack, unless the dealer throws one on for ya. I test drove one, pretty peppy motor, but not much low end torque for utility. I'd love to have one as a 2nd machine, I'll probably end up getting one for my daughter. I see they are a hot comodity, hold their value very well. But I just couldn't justify paying $4700 here at my dealer for a wheeler that is full time 4wd and no front rack, no instruments. I'd have $5200 into it before I'd be happy.
I do about 50% utility, 50% riding, so I went with the Prairie. For $1k, you get a hell of a lot more wheeler. It weighs 600lbs but it sure don't feel like it with that big 650 V-twin torque man. I love Yamaha, tried and true.

Oh, sorry this turned into a Prairie commercial, didn't try to.

CTATV 09-28-2004 12:34 PM

Id say wolverine 100% but when you get it get the highlifter skidplate package and the CV guards before you take it in any mud or anything. I got the entire dimondplate kit but at least get the bottom skidplate to protect your engine when you go in the rough stuff. Mine is indestructable and I have the OXlite guards. dont get the yamaha kevlar CV boot guards get metal ones. the kevlar are twice as much and although they stop boots from ripping they wont protect having your joint bent. you can take a look at how the wolvy looks with the Dimondplate package. Highlifter.com. check out my pics here on the forms if u want

MrDumass 09-28-2004 01:12 PM

I notice that no-one has any input on the big bear with the mods listed! Dont you think this would be a great combo, for the original post? At 1000- 1200 less then the Wolvy.

ChadW 09-28-2004 01:51 PM

I believe you would be making a big mistake getting a 2wd utility. If you do decide on the Big Bear I think it would be prudent to go with the 4wd. My friend has a 03 Big Bear and it is a tank. A lot of low end grunt and tough as nails. My Wolverine will take off and leave him and the handling on the wolverine is much better. If you lean a little to the sport side go with the Wolverine. The 424 will take about 2 to 4 hrs depending on mechanical ability. It is a must if you choose this bike. A front rack is available as an option on the Wolv, but it kills the good looks. With the proper cargo holder it is very rare I need more than the rear rack anyway. Hope this helps.

MrDumass 09-28-2004 03:50 PM

I really like the Wolvy an all, but can the extra money be justified? I mean 1000-1200 to start, not to mention the protection I need for the 4x4 on the wolvy.c/v guards skidplate. And how many times do you really need 4x4... I'am buying a 424 if I get the wolverine just so I can ride in 2x4....another 250-280.. Then the extra cost of damage/wear with a 4x4. Am I a driving myself nuts with this decision???? I think so...

ChadW 09-28-2004 03:59 PM

I ride in 2wd probably 98% of the time, but it is sure nice to have the option, especially when you get in those pucker situations. I ride in the hills and mountains of Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee on occasion and some places are almost impassable with 2wd, especially when wet. I know it is a tough decision, because I went through the same thing and would love to have a 2wd sport bike such as a Z400, 450R, or YFZ 450, but decided to go with the sportiest 4wd you can buy IMO. It shares the same engine as the Warrior and has quite a few hop ups also. Have you looked at the Suzuki Vinson? It might interest you.

yamihoo 09-28-2004 04:08 PM

Your ending up right where I was, putting the 424, Armor, Mods, adding $1000 or more to a new machine, it all boils down to what suits you. The money shouldn't play a part in the decision, but unfortunately it has to right? Unless your loaded and its not a concern, then we would all have 4-5 machines and we wouldn't have to decide. I evaluated value in my decision and I just couldn't justify spending some $4700 on a 350, then $1000 on 424, racks, mods etc. just for the race suspension and light weight and cool look. I had to just say for the value I was better off buying a slightly used bigger CC machine with selectable 2/4wd, exceptional armor, reasonbly sporty ride, but sacrificed weight. I've frowned at the thought of a belt drive auto ATV until I rode one, wow, I hate shifting now, and the centrifical force auto clutch is about the most inefficient, power robbing transmission avail. That would be a better machine if you drop the Warrior motor in with mods and manual clutch, I've read people do it. Worse case, you get, don't like it, they have great resale. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

MrDumass 09-28-2004 05:50 PM

I would like to keep the cost down, but still have a peppy utility quad. I think the Big Bear 2x4 is under-estimated and just wanted to see what you guys thought compared to the wolverine. I also think 4x4 is over-rated... I know it comes in handy sometimes, but $1000 dollars....

Raptor350Rider 09-28-2004 07:31 PM

can someone explain the down to all time 4x4. Does it drain power? No doughnuts? is that it?

Raptor350Rider 09-28-2004 07:35 PM

also, how is the big bear cheaper? they are both listed 5,199. ALso, this they get rid of the big bear 2x4?

2FAST4URASS 09-28-2004 09:06 PM

when it's in four wheel drive all the time its harder to steer in tight trail's when you have the abilty to put it in two wheel drive you can do some carveing in the little twisty trail's -----------------------and as far as the big bear goes theres no way i would get it my unk has a 04 big bear and i hate it verry hard to shift and 1 - gear is too low and 2 - too low as well and third just dont cut it going up hills dont like it get the wolverine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

BigBeezy 09-28-2004 09:17 PM

i have a 03 4x4 bigbear and i dont regret buying it at all// my cousin has a wolverine and it also is a great machine.
i would say wolverine because of the 4x4 but a 4x4 big bear is better in the mud and much better for working. the wolveine is faster so its more fun in the trails and both quads could be used for hunting// first gear is pretty low but not hard to shift// the bigbear4x4 and wolverine 4x4 are the same price and with your needs i would get the bigbear 4x4, but i rarely use my 4x4 so i would say save the money, buy the bigbear 2wd and get a small winch

eja 09-28-2004 09:30 PM

When you need 4x4 alot of times is when your in reverse. If you try to back up a hill in 2 wheel you just spin. In 4x4 your coming back.

MrDumass 09-28-2004 11:19 PM

Ahhh. Good point!

MrDumass 09-28-2004 11:24 PM

Originally posted by: Raptor350Rider
also, how is the big bear cheaper? they are both listed 5,199. ALso, this they get rid of the big bear 2x4?
The big bear is a brand new 03-04. At $4050. The Wolvy is a 04-05 at $5075 both out the door prices quoted by the dealer verbaly. I might have a little leverage to work with on the big bear since its model they need to move.

LMF 09-29-2004 02:11 AM

I have had great luck with my wolverine.

UGLY88 09-29-2004 01:46 PM

Sounds like you already want the BigBear, you just want somebody to say get it?

I would not get the Big bear 2x4 to play in mud which is what you said you would be doing some of. If you need more Utility get the Big Bear, however If you want 4x4 and sporty ride while haveing some utility get the Wolverine. I got my Wolverine because it was going to be my only machine for a while. I have some land with my dad where we hunt and I can haul deer out and haul fire wood, yet on other weekends I can go riding with my buddies who have a 300ex and a Z400. I do not have cv guards on mine or a 424, yet I can slide around corners most of the time even though it is hard some times. I beleive the Big Bear is constant 4x4 as well is it not? Also even if you get the 2x4 Big Bear and a small winch I do not think you will be carving up trails at any kind of speed, it would make a nice trail machine if you do not want to go very fast. Just some food for thought.

MrDumass 09-29-2004 01:59 PM

Naw- I dont really want to get the big bear... I was just thinking about the cash difference. The big bear I looked at was a 2x4 only. I also saw one that had 2x4 and 4x4 puch button switch on the handle bars. Dont want that one...too heavy..and slow.. I was also thinking that the big bear 2x4 with pipe/jet/filter, might be able to hit 55mph. I know an 02 2x4 big bear will run neck and neck with a 450 foreman at about 50 mph topped out. Let me know what you guys think! Dont get me wrong here I would much rather have the Wolvy- if the performance is worth the extra cash. Ultimatley it comes down to what I will use it for and what I want, I know.... I just wanted to get some very much needed opinions from you guys....

Madwolverine 09-29-2004 02:16 PM

I've always liked the big bear. However, I would only want it in 4x4. The wolv is a great machine. I bought it because of the all aroung package and price. (I paid 4800 plus tax). If you don't really need 4x4 but you want some utility there are some other choices. Maybe a 350 rancher 4x2. I'm sure it will haul pretty good if you add a filter and pipe. I think you can get a 2x4 rancher for under 4K. Save your money and get what you really want, otherwise you will regret it.

MrDumass 09-29-2004 02:27 PM

I really would like the Wolverine... I just had to see what eveyone thought. Thanks so much for the input....

yamihoo 09-29-2004 02:57 PM

yes the Big bear comes with 2/4 wd, one advantage.

but, I would take the wolvy cuz I ride more than work.

MrDumass 09-29-2004 03:47 PM

Can you get a front bumper for the wolvy?

yamihoo 09-29-2004 03:58 PM

You mean like DG bumpers yes of sort, I believe JR Graham or Chapparrel has them, order their catalogs, their websites suck.

MrDumass 09-30-2004 11:31 AM

What is the ride comfort factor for the two? How is the suspension on the two? I know the wolvy has a more of a sport suspension, but how comfortable is it on all day rides? The 2 guys I ride with the most have 2x4 big bears in stock form. They can do some wheelies, play in the mud a little, cross rivers, and run about 50. Do I go with the modded big bear and have a slight edge? Will the Wolverine give me that much more of an edge?

UGLY88 09-30-2004 11:37 AM

Wolverine will spank the big bear, but they are differnet machines. I am not saying the Big Bear is bad. However the Wolverine is hard to wheelie in stock form.

CTATV 09-30-2004 12:29 PM

im sure the ride comfort on the big bear is better at slow speeds but I dont find the wolverine to be especially uncomfortable but im only sitting half the time anywyas. And to whoever said drop a warrior engine in a wolverine, it is a warrior engine hot stuff. thats why pistons and cam shafts and the like are interchangeable. it just has different transmissions. I belive there is a kit to convert the tranny to fully manual but i dont want to do that cause when i do hit the mud a clutch is a pain in the arse. when your stuck and you have to get off an push or pull having to fiddle the clutch instead of just leaving it idling in gear and hitting the gas as needed without stalling is a world of a difference. The semi auto does me just fine it really doesnt bother me to not be clutching because I ride it in a lot of tight woods its just extra work. when i want to clutch i ride my quadzilla or my dirtbike. That is a good price on the bigbear and you may get 50 out of it with the pipe and filter but where can you go 50 on that hunk. not that its a bad quad but i assure you you will feel much safter doing 50 in the woods on your wolverine then on your big bear. the suspention and handling is much tighter with less body roll. I've ridden plenty of other quads like the grizzly and as nice as they are the wolverine is muuuch more fun to drive. if your getting it to ride for a few years and sell maybe you want the big bear but if your investing in a quality piece of play machinery you plan on keeping the wolverine is my choice. there is also a lot of room for upgrades on the engine. over the past 3 or 4 years ive slowly upgraded mine as my skill level increased. I started with protection like skids and cv guards. Next i got bars and handguards and a FMF megamax with K&N filter and torque stuffer, just a month or two ago i went for the high compression piston and white brothers cam with stiffer valve springs and coming this fall or winter im going for 25 inch surtracks or bearclaws all the way around and 1.5" wheel spacers. Another thing is I love the lines of the wolverine somthin about it just catches my eye. A lot of these bigger utility quads just dont do anything for me their just clunky in their looks and their handling. im not dissing them in general they are the right thing for some people but if your in for sport riding but you want a machine that can hang with the utility quads in work and mud but still hang with z400s and 400exes this is really the only choice. I love it no quad like it made by any company to date

MrDumass 09-30-2004 07:04 PM

Anybody have any cons to the big bear?

MrDumass 10-03-2004 06:49 PM

Lets go over this one more time, please? IS 1000-1600 more for a Wolverine as opposed to the 2x4 Big Bear going to be worth it? MAybe I should just buy the 2x4 big bear at 3800-4000, and keep it for few years and then buy another quad. Perhaps the wolvy, mabye something different by then. I'am sure my wife or my 7 year old boy would be able to handle the bear just fine after a few years of riding. Let me know what you buys think...

MNWolverine01 10-03-2004 09:20 PM

I kind of have a biased opinion towards the wolverine, but I think you would regret it if you didn't spend the extra for the wolverine. It truely is a great machine with endless upgrades if you want to beef it up.

Ryan

UGLY88 10-04-2004 10:13 AM

Why not look for a 1-3 year old Wolverine so it is cheaper than the Big Bear? The Wolverine is so durable that you will not be losing any reliabuility when getting a used one. That is what I did. I bought a 99 with racks and winch and trailer hitch for $3000. I plan on letting the wife ride it when I get another one.

MrDumass 10-04-2004 10:44 AM

I'am always skeptical when it comes to a used quad! Unless I know the person very well. I would rather buy a new one, and have the warrenty, plus the piece of mind knowing that I'am the only one that has used/abused it.

How good does the Wolverine hold up in the front end, when pushing over little sapplings, or running threw the briars and weeds? It doesent really have a front rack, or bumper to puch stuff out of the way. I'am afraid I'll end up with broken headlights and a busted up oil cooler. Let me know about this issue.

The majority of trails I ride are not that open, or long. I dont know if I will need something with the speed of the Wolverine, although it would be nice, I just dont really ride that way. I'am going to think about it hard for the next two days and then I'am going to buy.... All help appriceated