Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear 2x4 or Wolverine????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear 2x4 or Wolverine????????

The choices I have narrowed down to are these two quads. I will be modding either as follows. The big bear will get a pipe and a jet with a new air filter and a skid plate for now, tires and wheels later. The Wolvy would get the 424 and a pipe/jet/air filter and c/v guards for now. Wheels and tires and skid plate later. Which one will be more reliable? I do mostly trail rides/hunting/playing in mud/ and working. Please help!! As I will buying this week!! All comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

IMHO I would have to say the Wolverine. The major drawback fun-wise of the wolverine is the fact it is a full-time 4x4 but the Warn 424 kit makes the wolverine more versatile. I have had a lot more fun with my wolverine since installing the 424 kit. I use my wolverine for hunting, trail riding, mudding and working. Hope this helps!

Old 09-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Please guys- I know there are a lot of these quads out there!!

Old 09-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

I dont mean to sound **** or anything, but you guys are my only reliable source for info.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know about the Big Bear, but I love my Wolvy. It's not a work quad, but if you want something that is bullit proof, fun, and will get you places go with the Wolverine.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Mrdumbass,

With these as your final options, I would definately go with the wolverine. I drive a 2001 wolverine and my brother has a big bear and my dad has an older big bear that he kept for working after buying a new machine to play. So I have plenty of experience with both. I am actually going to get my 424 select soon, I am anxiously awaiting. From what I have been told it is amazing what difference it makes and that is to a machine that I love in the stock form. Another thing to think about is the amount of mods you can put into a wolverine. I do like the big bear, but if you want a 2wheel drive to play you might as well have the 4wheel drive option. Especially if you want to go play in the mud. I wish I could give more advice on worth while mods, but I have actually asked on this site with very little reply. The only mod advice I could give is don't get too big of front tires. For example, I run 25x10x12 titan 589's all around. If I were to do it again I would get 25x10 in the back and 25x8 in the front. It is not to bad, but it hurt the low end a touch. With the proper mods I am sure I could get more low end power then it started with. I just wish I knew which ones were worth while. If anyone else is reading this and could help with mod ideas I am all ears.

To anyone with a 424 select I am wondering how long it will take me to install it?

Ryan

Old 09-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Get the Wolverine and you wont be dissapointed. You can do anything you want to with this machine. Its not the best choice for a work quad, but if you have to, then just throw the racks on it and you're off. When you want to ride fast or race, strip them off and take off. Its a blast and I think its the best handling 4x4 out there.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

MN Wolverine, I've read it takes about 2 hrs to install the 424 if your not a pro.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Is the Wolverine tough? I like the fact that the big bear has the front rack, and more of a tough looking front end. I like to be able to plow right over little sapplings in some of the trails I ride, or if I need to get a deer out of the woods 1 mile back in the bush. You know what I'am saying? I dont need to race every quad I see, but I dont want to be the slowest either, hence the mods I'am planning for.. I dont think I would like a rack on the front of the Wolvy. I dont think the put one on the 04-05's. Anyway lets hear some comments.. Thanks again

Old 09-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

I was heavily considering buying the 04' Wolvy, I love the racy ultility, its one of a kind. However, it is only a 350, and light weight. BUT of course with the "light weight" comes some rigidity loss. You have to be missing some metal somewhere to be at 450lbs. I looked at it for hours, test drove one. I think it will do alot of utility, but not anything real heavy duty of course. (example: My 650 prairie pushed a 500lb propane tank across the yard, I doubt a Wolvy will do that) I would say if you ride 70% or more vs. utility, I'd buy one. You can always boost the power...and no, they don't come with a front rack, unless the dealer throws one on for ya. I test drove one, pretty peppy motor, but not much low end torque for utility. I'd love to have one as a 2nd machine, I'll probably end up getting one for my daughter. I see they are a hot comodity, hold their value very well. But I just couldn't justify paying $4700 here at my dealer for a wheeler that is full time 4wd and no front rack, no instruments. I'd have $5200 into it before I'd be happy.
I do about 50% utility, 50% riding, so I went with the Prairie. For $1k, you get a hell of a lot more wheeler. It weighs 600lbs but it sure don't feel like it with that big 650 V-twin torque man. I love Yamaha, tried and true.

Oh, sorry this turned into a Prairie commercial, didn't try to.

Quick Reply: Big Bear 2x4 or Wolverine????????