Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Atv plates.. important?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atv plates.. important?

My friend told me that when he bought his last three quads new, the deaer got him plates... doe sit cost more? why do you need him, im going tomorow to pick up my recon... its just been sittin there on the battery charger at the stealer for like 5 days now with my name on it.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

"plates" as in license plates?? I've never heard of any state requiring you to "tag" your quad. If that's what you are referring to then you need to call your local department of motor vehicles and ask them, don't trust your dealer. They may be doing it because they get some kick back and I'm sure once your quad is "tagged", you will pay taxes on it every year you own it!

Old 09-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

i wasnt sure if having them ment i could drive on the road( probably will anyway when its snowin) or if it was sort of proof that my dealer regestered it.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

In NY...in order to ride any state lands...or seasonal fire road as we call them, You need to have your atv registered...Yes it does cost something.. I can't remember what the fee is now..but it's not much.

And yes..you do get a plate. I have been doing a ton of riding in the Brantingham/tug hill area of NY lately. The first time I went this summer, I was stopped by a DEC guy and harrassed for not having a plate. Luckily I had the registration in my wallet.

I now have the plate mounted down behind the front bumper on the frame tubes...I have not been bothered, and I hardly know it's there.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Oh...and the plate does not mean that you are legal to ride on the road, unless the road is designated for atv use.

It does not work like a car registration. IMO.....it's just another way for the state to get money out of you.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

thats what i was thinkin, less hassel. ive ridden on state lands aswell but not designated for atv, i want to head there soon, and to a track as soon i turn 16, im thinking about buyin a blaster or old 250 for the track with the money i intend to make this winter plowin. Im really just wondering if the dealer will give me plates bc they said they regester it, but they were dropping the fee, along with the assembly fee.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure...ask your dealer when you talk to them.

Seems like I remember the plate showing up in the mail.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

i suppose it has to, the dealer doesnt make them, unless theve got a hundred unmates in the back with a stamping machine/lol

Old 09-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

There is a difference between just getting the plate and getting it registered...to register it must have a rear view mirror, horn and brakelight...At least in Arizona...You need these to ride on fire roads and forest roads as well.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

is there any regulation on CC size, bc my buddy's eton 90 has all of that. (seriously it came stock)

Quick Reply: Atv plates.. important?