Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha's ATV Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha's ATV Reliability

Hello everyone, i'm planning on getting an '05 Raptor 660R soon, and one of my concerns is reliability. Due to confusion from other threads i've been reading about how reliable atv's are, i'm curious about this. I'm not asking about whether a honda is more reliable than a yamaha, cuz i really don't care, i don't like honda, and i'm not getting one. Currently, i have a '96 yamaha warrior, and i like it alot, i'm just looking for a newer model and more power (and i think the raptor will give me that). So, my main questions are, what do i need to do to keep it reliable? I've read this article (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) on how to break in the engine, and thats what one of my friends told me to do (ride it hard to seat the rings). But is there anything else i need to know to keep it running reliably without spending 4hrs on maintenance to ride 30mins? Thanks. Oh yeah, just so you know, i mostly do trail riding and i'll be riding in my backyard and the field behind my backyard (my backyard is about 2 1/2 acres, the field is a couple miles long). Also, the mods that i plan on doing it after i've broken it in are: Yoshimura Comp. Series Silencer, K&N Air filter, Trailtech computer, Armadillo full chassis skid plate and possibly changing the front bumper.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

Does no one have anything to say about how to make sure your atv runs reliably???

Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the main issue with reliability... It is directly linked to the maintenance you maintain. Keep in mind that the more high performance a bike is, the less forgiving it will be with regard to maintenance. A junk bike kept well maintained, it will last you a long time while a brand new bike poorly maintained, will be a short fused time bomb.

It sounds to me like the raptor would be well suited to your needs. Having a background on a warrior, it would be my recommendation for you.

I do have a concern for you relating to the break in of your soon to be new bike. The article you posted has been brought up more than once on this forum. Personally, I believe that person to be a nutcase (to put it mildly). I, and I am sure several other engine builders on here will agree with me, feel the proper way to break an engine in is slowly. Motottune's thoughts of the "cylinder grinding the rings before the opposite occurs due to the hone lines of the cyclinder itself..." are pure crap. I encourage you to seek the advise of more knowledgeable people in the world of engine building (there are many on here). Or talk to trinity, craycraft, etc... about what they think you should do. (Not to mention your owner's manual lines it out perfectly.)

Good luck with your choice and happy riding.

~HoundDog

Old 10-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

As long as you do your routine maintenance, you won't have any problems. I'd recommend NOT starting it in gear any more than necessary though. Starting it in NEUTRAL will help your one-way clutch live a lot longer. Mine's just now needing replacement. It's the original from January of 2001. And probably would still be going strong if it weren't for it having to crank over a 12.5:1 105mm piston for the last year and a half. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

After you go through a smooth break in just buy the thick book for your model. Basically you just have to change the oil regularly, and grease up the suspension and bearings frequently also. Keeping the quad clean after riding really helps out too. Beyond that its mostly simple things like making sure the chain has the right slack, and cleaning the filter frequently.

For trails you might not want the raptor, they are pretty top heavy. They probably will not turn quite as good as the z's or dvx's and the other 400's out there. The raptor seems to be more of a drag quad. That is assuming tight woods riding though. If you want to stick to yamaha, pick up a yfz, although they don't have a reverse, they will surely corner better.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I beat my Raptor to death...have alot of hours on it, and it has been quite reliable.

I maintain it pretty well.

Another trick is to haul your Raptor in neutral. This prevents the engine from kicking the one way starter when rocking back and forth on the trailer. I am on my original one way...this must be why.

Also, the stock raptor is top heavy, but a set of $80 rear wheel spacers totally changes how the Rap handles....it's night and day. (don't put spacers on the front)

Old 10-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
a set of $80 rear wheel spacers totally changes how the Rap handles....it's night and day. (don't put spacers on the front)
Do the spacers hold up during jumps, etc.?

Old 10-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the information. My friend ross has told me that when i break it in, just ride it hard, other people have told me to go easy, so i guess i'll just do it kind of inbetween lol. I'll go easy on it at first, then ride it hard. I've heard the opposite about the raptors though Boxhead. I've read countless times that the raptor is a trail quad, not the yfz (actually the yfz kinda sucks on trails with the stock suspension since its so stiff), but i'll be on trails quite a bit, not necessarily really tight trails, just avg i guess. But like i said, i can't get the raptor until i sell my warrior [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this thing? The price i'm sellin it for is in my signature.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have the graphite wheel spacers. The trick is to keep the wheels torqued to the proper specifications. They will break if not torqued properly, I have heard.

I drive in the AZ desert on insane terrain. I have jumped pretty high, slammed rocks. Never a problem.

My Buddy slid into a jeep at about 30mph. His raptor rickocheted off the jeep like a ping pong ball. He hit with the back wheels of the rap. The axle bent over like a limp noodle. His spacers suffered no damage. (My buddy cleared the jeep)

I think those spacers are the single best thing you can do to a Raptor.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
I think those spacers are the single best thing you can do to a Raptor.
Thanks for all the info MasterRap. They just add width to the rear, right? DO you have a link for the spacers?

BTW, sorry to intrude on your thread Ice.

Quick Reply: Yamaha's ATV Reliability