Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need a new pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new pipe

Hey freeze, what would you recommend if I wanted top end on my raptor? I think I will just go with a slip on for now.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

With the testing I have done I did not do the jetting 100% correct. I just did not have the time to do it. It was about 90 to 95%, so you will need to do some fine tuning to get it spot on. There will not be massive differences in HP between 95 and 100% jetting.

In the end I ended up with dynojet needles in 4th clip and main jets 148/150. Remember I am at 6000 ft above sea level, so your jets might be similar or bigger.

The final raptors where running open lids, billet adaptor and K&N with full exhaust systems.

For top end, you will need full systems, or strangely, the stock pipe, without the baffle. The slip-ons did not match the other pipes past 6000 RPM where you get all your top speed from.

The article I posted to some people will help out a bit I hope.

If you are interested in the best pipes for top end or racing, then CT and sparks are the two pipes to fit. If you are looking for a very good trail and low down pipe, Pro-Circuit rules.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Range Rover
Default Need a new pipe

Freez, what do you suggest for dune riding? Need low end to get out of the hole racing up comp but also need top end for duning. Takes a buttload of power to dune.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

If you drag race up a dune you need high end power more than low down. Here pipes like sparks and CT will work the best. They make excellent power in midrange and top end. The yoshi that I tested make good power at the top end, but it does not produce the same midrange as CT and Sparks.

If you like something with tractor pulling power low down, then the Pro-Circuit is the best. This pipe beats anything I have tested below 5000 RPM, but it is not the best top end pipe. The Sparks and CT pipes give about 2 HP more between 5500 and 7000 RPM that the Pro-Circuit.

My next project will be to figure out on how to give the other pipes the same low down as the Pro-Circuit. I believe the pro circuit have slightly more back pressure than the rest and this help the low down power quite a bit.

There is a way to do this, but I need to built the damn thing 1st and then test it.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

maddog - you are always after me... how did I get in this conversation??? Italian stallion mentioned that my sister's bike was getting beat with a slip on... We traded bikes over and over, now she is getting a 686 that I built, believe me we know how to tune a bike!!! We will be selling the CT hopefully soon because when we bought it it only has one mount on the cannister and is has broken off twice and the front of the headpipe gets smaller??? This was the full race pipe!!! It was a good pipe but I think there are better, i will take some pics right now and post them for you!!!

Old 10-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

My WB is nice.. so is it really knockin power outta top end? what HP does the full yoshi have top end?

Old 10-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need a new pipe

LTE Racing.....................

Old 10-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

Have any results on the Big Gun Slip-on Race series pipe as I swapped out the WB E2 Series before I even picked it up today. I plan on changing the jetting to a 144 in the left and 146 in the right on my Raptor as I'm about 2,500 feet? I'm also going to run a K&N with no airbox lid as I have the billet bracket to hold the filter in place. Have you tested this pipe combo and how has it worked as I plan on doing the install tommorow?

Old 10-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a new pipe

Rapfam, Your name got into this because your "rapfam" was mentioned.

I can see that much of our conversation between each other has been in vain, as we are comparing two different ct pipes. You have the older version originally sold by ct, and I have the more recent version. At least, that must be the case if you have only one mount for the silencer.

You want pix? Here is a pic of my pipe, over a year since I installed it.

Pipe

Old 10-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need a new pipe

It may be an older ct pipe, I weighed it in this morning at 11.4 lbs and the sparks pipe weighted 8.25 lbs??? the weight alone is a big difference. I've always said that IN MY OPINION I like the sparks better, we've owned two of them and they were ok, I think sparks is better, again JMO. I just posted a pic on another website of it...

Quick Reply: Need a new pipe