Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Starting issues with '03 warrior (electrical)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues with '03 warrior (electrical)

I've had my warrior for over a year now. It is all stock except for some bars. I rolled it a few weeks ago and picked up a new set of bars and a new non-parking brake lever. Since the parking brake and clutch in-to-start switch aren't in there I'll have to figure out what to do with them.

I noticed after I cleaned up the bike and started it I had to have it in nuteral no matter what to start it (no clutch in switch). That was fine. But I also noticed anytime I put the bike in reverse it would stall. Almost like the ignition switch was turned off.

Well flash forward two weeks after the bike was sitting in my garage. I havn't been riding it because I need a skid plate. I went to start it and the batt. is completely dead, like dead short dead. I checked and tha main fuse is blown. The bike hasn't been touched or anyhting since I last started it just to move it.

I've gone over the wiring harness and I can't find any shorts or bare wires anywhere. What do you guys suggest?

Old 10-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

there is a switch on the parking break that you eliminated, just cut it and tape it off, maybe it is hitting the frame somewhere. There is also a switch so that if the quad is in gear you have to have the clutch in to start it, cut and tape that one off too. With reverse all i can guess is maybe your clutch is out of adjustment and grabbing too much when u put it in reverse. Adjust that.

Old 10-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well they are not powerd switches. Meaning if they are grounded out nothing happens. If I ground them out that's how they should work that isn't the problem. I'm leaning towards the starting being shorted. I can apply voltage to it and nothing happens. The wires I use *** jumpers get hot and it doesn't turn. Looks like I need a new starter.