Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

skimming the water???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skimming the water???

I have been wondering how skimming across a body of water is accomplished..I really wanna learn how to do this trick becuase it look's sick when someone does it..If anybody on the forum know's how this trick is done please let me know..what kinda posture should i have before approaching the water..There is a great spot at a trail i ride at that is about a 20yard crossing of water and the land seem's to hit the water perfectly level..All of us who go riding at the area has attempted it but can not get it..I really want to be the first to do it so your info is greatly appreciated[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2004, 05:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

I too have been trying to perform this "Trick". Through the simple physics however i am sure we can both accomplish it.

- The surface tension - The flastest possible surface to use when skimming.

I would suggest then that you enter the water doing a wheelie or at least the front tires of off the ground albeit slightly.!

The fastest possibke speed would also be needed.

I realise that u would probably know these things. Sometimes however......"Practice makes Perfect"

keep tryin and it will surely work out! o and ride safe!! lolololol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

From watching my friend wreck his raptor many-a-time trying to skim, I learned you don't want to wheelie, because as soon as the back tires hit the front end gets thrown down, then under, then tumbling away. As Fat Joe says, "lean back, lean back" and keep weight off the front end, but don' get it up in the air. I've spent too much time and money building my quad to try it, but it sure is fun to watch other people!!

Old 10-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Buy a boat

You can get hurt real quick doing this. I mean really hurt bad. Don't do it.

To do it you have to be 4th or 5th topped out and all the weight off the fronts and pray. I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Range Rover

the best way to not get hurt is dont get out of first gear and dont enter water over 1inch

Old 10-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

i tried it once and did it but it scared the $hit out of me becuase you cant steer or brake while you are hydroplaneing and i almost ran into a 67 nova with a custom paint job after that i haveent tried it again i suggest never to do it

Old 10-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think I would do anything that wouldn't injure me. Heading into the water above 50 is the type of thrill I'm always after. When you see water gun it, and just hang on and be ready to hit that clutch quick!!!

Old 10-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

I have a wolverine and I was at this spot where I usualy ride, it was a sand pit with a nice hill and a half foot deep puddel that was 50 long. well one day as I was going down the hill in 5th I saw the puddel and hammered on the gas. now i'm not sure if i skimmed it buy it sounded like it. I was doing about 50 in the middle of the puddle when I finly remembered that there is a really sharp turn after the puddle about 15 feet away. well I slamed on my brakes on the dirt and skid side ways that 10 feet and and dumped into so 1 inch thich saplings. fortunetly I allways wear my helmet. the bike just turnedon it's side because of the saplings. what was nice about that whole experence was that nothing broke.

just like to share my story. ps look good before you skimm.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

the only water i skip is on my snowmobile! You need power a whole lot of power

Old 10-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

What I do is stay in 4th or 5th tapped, and put my butt as far as I can back, and try and keep it straight.

Check out my pictures, I have a couple of my hydroing in the water.

Quick Reply: skimming the water???