Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

kodiak question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2000, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed a slight creeking sound or a faint popping sound coming from my steering column. I jacked it and there is no play in the wheels or none noticable in the steering. I didn't make a sound when it was jacked, just when the weight is on it. I put 25-10-12's (Escavators),on front as on back and I hope that isn't causing it because I like the performance. It seemed to do it a little when it had the original 25-8-12's on front. It doesn't affect performance and you can't hear/feel it when riding, only when turned off. Has anybody else noticed this or maybe not a big deal? I W.D'd it and is still doing it and bolts seem tight with pins. Thanks for any info in advance...

Old 08-31-2000, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Anybody??

Old 08-31-2000, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure the noise isn't coming from the shock or shock mounts? Creeking and poping on the kodiaks front suspension seems to be a common problem, but nothing a little greese won't fix.

In reply to your E-mail, no I haven't had any problems at all running the 26" Bearclaws. EXCEPT slight rubbing when I turn full left. The front right tire rubs on my WARN 2000 winch. But no big deal. I'm getting some 3/4" or 1" wheel spacers all around soon, hopefully that will lessen the problem.

2000 Kodiak
26" Bearclaws, 26-12X12, 26-9X12
Warn 2000 lbs winch
Kimpex front and rear bush guards
Kimpex fender guards and rear pegs
55 watt Halogen driving lights

http://photos.yahoo.com/y2kerplunk

Old 08-31-2000, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

It's only when you turn the handlebars slightly back and forth and you can feel it pop a little. It's not loud and don't notice it when riding. It's not the handle bars themselves. It seems to be from the bottom of the column. I guess it's not that big a deal but may have it checked. Thanks...

Old 09-04-2000, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Kerplunk
I checked out your photos and you've got a nice lookin machine! Where did you mount the soleinoid for your winch? Mine is under the right rear fender and zip tied to the frame and I think it's too suseptable to water. Benn thinking about the same tires and size and wondering if they'd rub. I guess if I get a kit with wheels and different offset I won't have the rubbing. Have you already found wheel spacers? I would prefer to save a little and use stock wheels like you did. I'm so jealous of you Canadians havin blue Kodiaks.

Damguy
Y2K-beige
Warn winch
sucky stock tires

Old 09-04-2000, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks!

I mounted my solenoid under the front left fender on the other side of the plastc.. It's hard to explane but if you look around your front left fender you will see what I mean.. It stays fairly clean and dry there.

Good Luck,

Old 09-04-2000, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Well I had a guy look at it and he said nothing is loose and it may just have some dirt in it. Anyway it's not really noticable(only when off). By the way, I put my solenoid in the dry box under the seat w/wires running through the drain plug. It's mounted on the wall by the drain with heavy duty fasteners from Radio Shack. It's worked like a charm so far and stays dry and clean.

Old 09-04-2000, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

I love the pics of the Kodiak. Plus I used to have a 86 'rocco myself.
How did you get a blue Kodiak? Is it only in the CA market?

Old 09-04-2000, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

JHAM,

I have looped mine before and bent the Steering stem. I have had it apart and you have a Plastic upper support bearing or bushing. It is split and has 2 Quad Rings (Double Lipped O-Rings). These seal in grease. That is why WD40 didn't help. I have heard this same noise on my friends Kodiak. I put about 10 minutes looking into it without success. It doesn't sound like a plastic to metal noise but I have been shocked before.
If you were to have your finger lightly on the spot of the noise you would be able to feel the vibration. Get someone to sit on it and duplicate it while you feel around. Good luck.
If your like allot of us your front shocks lower mounts may be the next to squeak. Just loosen the nut to bolt about 1 flat or so untill it stops.

Old 09-04-2000, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have also heard a pop. Sometimes after shifting to two wheel drive while moving (slowly) forward, and then accelerating to about 10 mph I hear a slight pop. It does not happen every time. I will ask the dealer about it next time I take it in for service. Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this sound?

Quick Reply: kodiak question...