Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Once again Wolverine, scrambler500

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once again Wolverine, scrambler500

What are the best engine mods without porting? pistom/cam?

Old 11-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

a pipe I think I'm going to get hmf utility series pipe. I really like my new tire. then I will be getting an air filter. then mabe a jet kit.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

the hmf gives you 2 hp, without jetting.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Ive got a wolverine and I love mine. Id highly reccomend it. the warn 424 is a nice addition i reccomend it but when i got mine new i rode it totally stock for at least a year completely satisfied.

Overall durability? Rock solid. Takes a beatin and comes back for more

Mudding? Shaft much better then chain in the mud less maitnece on it. Ground clearence is good and tires are fine for most stuff. if you want serious swamping you might upgrade to mudding tires but thats standard on any other quad you want to hardcore mud with. An exaust would be a good thing to add if you are getting serious mud tires although mudlites are pretty light weight

Hill climbing? excelent 1st and second gear do just fine ive taken mine up some practically vertical slopes with confidence

Rocks?Throw a belly skid plate on and you can climb just about anything. I go rock climbing all the time at my buddy's house

Driving down creeks? I rode it like a jetski in the river behind my house for the first few summers with no problems. kept it nice and clean! the shaft drive is much better for this because you dont have to lube constantly and its a sealed system. Just dont intake water and your good.

Plowing my driveway? I havent plowed but i ride it in the snow and it does great. I have talked to people who do and they say it does just fine for plowing. Ive always found it reliable it starts well in the winter.

jumping? It jumps pretty solidly you cant expect either of them to land extremely gracefully at the wieghts they have but ive jumped mine with no damage to me or the bike maybe 5 feet high.

handling?wolverine had very good handling and until just recently I had no desire to upgrade it. After doing the engine work i decided to go with 1.5 inch wheel spacers to give it a little more integrity through the tight woods corners but the speeds i do in the woods are a lot more then most people do it was always good before.

One thing thats nice is there is so much room to upgrade the engine and other things on it. I have exaust, intake, torque stuffer, White Brothers High lift camshaft, Wiseco high compression piston and stiffer valve springs, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, moose handguards, renthal bars, Highlifter diamond plate full aluminum skid package, 909 grips, Oxlite CV guards, and a warn 424 select. FST even makes a manual clutch kit and a 440 big bore kit if you want it somewhere down the road. I have slowly added to my bike over the last few years but I love it so much its not really a cost its an investment. It keeps things exciting to continue to upgrade. Its human nature that what we get we eventually conqure and look for more. There are people that have speed records for 500 miles per hour but they werent excited so they went for 600 and so on. Not that the wolverine will be doing any 500 but With any quad you will eventually want to change things and the wolverine has a number of choices. If you have any other questions about them let me know I love mine and wouldnt trade it. Ive collected other toys like my Quadzilla and my snowmobile but the Wolverine has a permenant reserved parking space in my garage

Oh yea, A good first engine mod is a Megamax slip on and K&N filter with torque stuffer and jet kit from albaaction.com. I noticed a drastic increase in power.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a pro design air filter, rejetted carb,white bros pipe,highlifter Unlocker, I need to know if I can get a after market piston and cylinder kit?

Old 11-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Range Rover

so which one are you going to buy?

Old 11-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I took my wolverine off road which I really havent done in the half of year I owned my wolverine. And to tell you the truth. I wasnt so happy with my wolverine. Getting stuck going over small logs, big rocks, deep ditches. I think it was because I didint have a skid plate to slide over that and maybe the logs and rocks were holding me from getting over. I eventualy got over everything but it took me a few minutes , had to back up and give more speed to get over it. Im not doubting the wolverine. I LOVE MY WOLVERINE and Id pick it again. But if your buying a wolverine. I would suggest a skid plate. and maybe a lift kit or bigger tires. to get more clearance.

------------------------------
04 Honda Rubicon
03 Kawasaki prairie 360 4x4
01 Yamaha Wolverine. FMF megamax, K&N air filter, warn 1500 whinch, oxlite boot guards, moose fender extensions,maier hand guards, full running boards.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Bigballer,

I could be wrong, but it looks like you are missing the most important mod for a wolverine. Bigger tires. It is actually the only mod I have on mine at the moment, more will come later, I do most of my riding "offroad" and I have no problem going over or though anything a bigger/different bike goes through.

Like I said I could be wrong and you may have aftermarket tires, but if you don't I would recommend that as your next upgrade.

I would also recommend tires and warn 424 as the first upgrades for any new wolverine owner.

Ryan

Old 11-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Yeh, Im thinking of biger tires for mine.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1ShotScott
the scram uses chain to turn the front and rear tires which there will be maitinance on, alot more then wolvy and you have to replace parts for it too eventualy. and the chain could slip off while in the woods. for the type of riding it sounds like you will be doing. the wolvy uses the drive shaft which the is basicly no maitinance on it execpt greace the fittings every 3-6 months. .

uhhh....the scrambler is front shaft drive, rear chain. ive put about 1000 miles on my scrambler never had any probs with a chain. as for GC, ive never had an issue, and i ride with sportsmans. the TRUE 4wd will climb itself out of anything.

as for the wolvy being lighter....line em up and see how much that 100 lbs extra slows a scrammy.... no contest.

Quick Reply: Once again Wolverine, scrambler500