Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Once again Wolverine, scrambler500

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once again Wolverine, scrambler500

I like Yamaha but the Scrambler will pretty much blow the Wolverine away in almost any situation
i would agree

Old 10-19-2004, 12:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Now taliking in STOCK form here

Overall durability? Both. Either one is just as reliable as the other. No machine is perfect and you will break stuff regardless of what brand it is. But liquid cooling is a big step above oil cooled.

Mudding? The scrammy for sure. The TRUE 4wd (AWD) makes a world of difference

Hill climbing? I would have to say the scrammy because the Auto makes it great for climbing. Always in the right gear. Add to that the true 4wd, powerfull 500cc engine, and lower center of gravity and you have a great hill climber

Rocks? I would probably have to go with the Wolvy on this. It has more ground clearence, taller tires, and the shaft drive which wont get hung up as easily as the chain

Driving down creeks? Probably both of them, as long as you keep them above the snorkels

Plowing my driveway? I would have to go with the wolvy for the sole fact that the scrambler lacks low range. Thats not to say that the scrammy couldnt do it.

jumping? Scrammy!. It may be heavier but the almost 3" more suspension travel that it has makes a difference

handling? Scrammy hands down! The selectable 4wd, smaller tires, lower center of gravity, and chain drive makes it handle more like a sport than a ute

Just my $.02

Old 10-19-2004, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

Never been on a scrambler but I considered buying one before I picked up the wolverine. It just seemed too big and weird. It looks weird. It has floor boards instead of pegs. It has rear chain drive and front shaft. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] It has taller tires on the front. (That's uncommon on a 4x4) I'm sure it has awesome power but I get along pretty good on the yamaha. I can catch nice air and land soft with the stock suspension. I can slide with the best of 4x4's (warn 424). I can wheelie it with ease. It goes through mud fine. Yea it's not perfect and could sure use some extra low end grunt but it does exactly what yamaha claims and more. If you can get over the looks, floorboards, extra weight, and extra cost maybe the scrambler is your machine. I'd definitely ride both if I couldn't make up my mind.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

ok, ive never driven a wolvy before. ill admit that. i have driven automatic clutches, and for slower technical riding, ive actually found the scrammys auto to be much better. ive had to replace ONE belt since i got, and it was junk from factory. now i ride with sportsmans and praries and a foreman. not once has there been a situation that they made it through and i couldnt. that scrambler is just amazing how many places it can go with the right rider. before my scrammy, i had a kodiak. now that oughtta out perform a wolvy in offroadin if i am correct. now my scrammy, thnx to a true 4wd (kodiak was an 02), does even better, and i keep right up w/ sportsmans. now for handling, ive done small trail races against a 450r. the scrambler took it every time thnx to and auto and ungodly speed off the line. and if it got slick u always had 4wd to REALLY kill the 450r. in a drag race, no 4wd hangs near me(sp700 and p650), and the 450r needs a good 200 ft to pass me. i also raced a 550 honda motorcycle. for 1/8th mile i had it, then he FLEW right by me ..as for jumpin, ive done maybe 5ft high...never bottomed out once....pillow landing every time. i dont regret gettin the scrambler at all. we ride a lot of open and tight technical trails, and i love the scrammy in both.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

For speed? get the scrambler for Utility use get the wolverine. The only thing i dont like about the scrambler is its chrain drive in the rear. You cant go throught alot of mud and water with the scrmabler. I like my wolverine. Its got some power with the mods I added. It hits about 60 and when I switch between gears I lift the front up without trying. I think the scrambler would be for speed and recreational more then the wolverine.

-------------------------------
04 Honda Rubicon
03 Kawasaki prairie 360 4x4
01 Yamaha Wolverine with...
FMF mega max exaust
K&N Air filter
warn1500 whinch
moose fender extensions
oxlite boot guards
maier hang guards
full running boards.

Old 11-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

speed the scrammy wins, comfort it has to be the wolvy. if you ride on really bumpy trails, or plan on rock climbing slow large rocks go with the wolvy. the scrambler tires you out on rocky trails, and it wants to slide you right off the back on steep hills. you have to hang on tight. the shifting shouldnt be a problem either, theres no clutch and gearing is good all around. the scrammy isnt my favorite, theres something about an auto that just doesnt do it for me on a sport quad, although the scrambler can corner like a mother.

Old 11-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

What are the best motor mods without porting? Piston/cam?

Old 11-12-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Engine swap to a 660. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lets hear from a wolv owner!!

Old 11-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Range Rover

well I'm a wolvy owner and there is no way you could get me to by the scrambler. and just so you guys know the scram does not have more ground clearence it only has 5.5" which will realy limit where you can go. not only that but the bikes apperence looks goffy. they oth have almost the same fuel capacity. scram 3.5 wolvy 3.4 the wolvy at 477 is about 100lb lighter. they give you 22" tire in the rer and 23" in the frotnt which means that if you were to up grade you tire that the back would have to be 1" shorter than the front, because you will be screwing up the gearing in 4x4 since the rear tire are smaller they will be rotating mor if they are rotating at the same speed as the fron you will most likely end up braling some thing in the tranny. the wolvy has 23"s in the fron and back. which means if you up grade all the tires have to be the same height. the scram uses chain to turn the front and rear tires which there will be maitinance on, alot more then wolvy and you have to replace parts for it too eventualy. and the chain could slip off while in the woods. for the type of riding it sounds like you will be doing. the wolvy uses the drive shaft which the is basicly no maitinance on it execpt greace the fittings every 3-6 months. the wolvy has 7.1" of suspention travel in front and back. the scram has 8.2" in the front and 10.5" in the rear. there are a couple of choice for color on the wolvy the scram has 1. the scram has the automatic tranny foward/neutral/revers. the wolvy has the manual shift with the auto clutch, I like shifting better personly. the wolvy now comes with only the rear rack but you can also by a rear rack. the scram has no racks what so ever. the scram does have mod and so does the wolvy I think the wolvy has more though.and with depenibuilty I would have to give that to the wolvy too. for all of the purposes you asked about I would give them all to the wolverine except the jumping and hill climbing i'm not sure about. If you want another look at the specs, here they are the wolverine. the scrambler
the prices for the bikes are $5,199 for the wolvy and 6,099.

Quick Reply: Once again Wolverine, scrambler500