Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Looking for riders from PA. and MD.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for riders from PA. and MD.

My impressions of Tower City:

1) You are guaranteed to come back looking like an old-time coal miner with no way of really cleaning up - especially your blackened riding clothes. All the decent trails are closed every weekend for riding from about October until sometime in January? Seems like by the time you can ride again then it is too freakin cold and too much snow. For the average rider, you have from about the end of March until mid-October to ride. Much of the summer is extremely dry so you are riding in coal dust hence look like an old-time coal miner. Tower City is mostly just a series of old strip mines. Even if you are a hunter, you cannot run your quad. Meanwhile, every freakin hunter in PA not associated with Tower City are riding quads to their tree stands, etc.

Would have to say if I had the choice between Tower City and Paragon then Paragon would win. The terrain is similar, Paragon is at least 4 times as large just counting the main riding area of Paragon. There is a 2nd riding area of Paragon most people don't even know about that you can't get to from the main parking area. The downside to Paragon is it is really a park for offroading so they don't like quads and motorcycles kicking up dust on the main fire roads and logging roads.

2) Never really understood what happened to all the money that is collected for riding, camp ground fees, profits from the store, etc. It claims to be a non-profit organization. Perhaps someone knows if the books are open for all members to see how the money is spent. Seems to be run by the decisions of 1-4 people for everyone else to abide by. I imagine most of the money is spent on the payroll for a few good people who run this non-profit. At least it is a place to ride - I just question the pretention of a "riding club". Seems to be no different than the other riding places that are opened as a business.

/NotuRaptor

Old 10-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer

waht is the terrain like at paragon? rocks or is it dirt trails cuz i hate rocks i just want to have nice smooth trail ride that u can not worry about hitting rocks or havein to go in first gear because of all the rocks. but about like 10 to 15 min away from paragon theres a truck stop we unload there in hazelton and just go right from the truck stop and ride trails from there but there are so many trails but u have to be really really carefull beacus there are huge cliffs that u could just ride right off of them and ur done! but its fun the only thing is that its coal silks so ur gonna come out black and ull spend a day washing everything and ull never get everything clean. but yeah if u've been to paragon please tell me how the terrain is and if its worth the money or should i jsut stay riding were i go

Old 10-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Never been to paragon, but as me and some buddies are all getting ATVs at the same time weve been looking into it, heres the link and it has good info,

Paragon

Old 10-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Lots of rocks around Paragon. It is mostly for trucks and Jeeps. There are play areas that you don't have to worry about rocks though. I use to run my Jeep there years ago before the pipelines were closed off. Sounds like you have a fairly equivalent place to ride.

Check out Rausch Creek for a really cool place to ride with several tracks and trails. It is at the same exit as Tower City which is about 20-30 minutes south of Paragon.

Rausch Creek

/NotuRaptor

Old 10-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

I'm going to go to raush creek sometime, but I frequently go to jack frost traxx.