Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 Raptor iddle gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 05:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Raptor iddle gear

I guys, this is my first post in this forum, so hi there to all.

I have a 2002 raptor, witch is giving me some starting problems, i do think that is the iddle gear that is stuck sometimes ( the starter spins, but engine do not move).
Is there any easy way of correcting this? I know that in watercraft some maintenace can be done to lubricate this gear, so it can work correctly.

Any input will be appreciated!!!

Thanks
Miguel

Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your starter clutch is bad or the power to the starter clutch is not getting here. You have to take part of the engine apart to fix this. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

The starter 1 way is going bad. Happens alot on raptors. I did one on my brothers 2002 last week. The part was $150.00. I never done 1 before but it was pretty simple. just have to pull the left side cover.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Now thats bad luck...

Have to find out a service manual to give some help

Thanks guys!!
BTW- Anyway of starting up without the starter---like pushing her?

Old 10-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

Becarefull push starting it. When our starter 1 way went bad, the bolts also broke off in the cylinder. Not good to have them floating around in the crank case. We push started ours and it started knocking real bad because of the bolts..

Old 10-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Do not ride it anymore...you have debris floating aroundin your engine oil. The stock replacement is the same junk that went out. Go too www.ripperracing.com and pick up their 1 way set-up and you will not have too deal with this problem again. A lot better and stronger set-up. Glad I picked 1 up.

Old 10-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

This should be a recall item. I would bet Yamaha has sold more of the OE 1 ways than actual Raptors. I know mine went through 2 before I picked up one from Ripper Racing.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks Gary i found great info on this subject, and it will help a lot!

Old 10-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: garyc660R
This should be a recall item. I would bet Yamaha has sold more of the OE 1 ways than actual Raptors. I know mine went through 2 before I picked up one from Ripper Racing.
Out of 2 02 raptors and 2 03 raptors none have had any problems with the one way. Two are bone stock, the other two are significantly modded. One of each gets ridden religiously, and the other modded raptor is raced. Been starting an 11:1 piston for almost a year now and still no issues.

Sounds like you have bad luck with raptors to me gary. I know a lot of them go out, but remember more people get on the forums to complain than to praise. And most here have serious modifications to thier bikes as well. I'm not saying the one way isnt weak, but most here are pushing its limits with high compression big bore pistons and very aggressive drag cams.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: garyc660RThis should be a recall item. I would bet Yamaha has sold more of the OE 1 ways than actual Raptors. I know mine went through 2 before I picked up one from Ripper Racing.
Out of 2 02 raptors and 2 03 raptors none have had any problems with the one way. Two are bone stock, the other two are significantly modded. One of each gets ridden religiously, and the other modded raptor is raced. Been starting an 11:1 piston for almost a year now and still no issues.Sounds like you have bad luck with raptors to me gary. I know a lot of them go out, but remember more people get on the forums to complain than to praise. And most here have serious modifications to thier bikes as well. I'm not saying the one way isnt weak, but most here are pushing its limits with high compression big bore pistons and very aggressive drag cams.
Maybe I have bad luck. But why do I notice other people with multiple 1 way failures? Why does Ripper Racing even make a 1 way alternative if a couple of people are having bad luck? Is that yours in your pics slammed (nice Rap BTW)? The front tires look like new...how many hours are on this machine? Mine always took approx 180hrs too grenade a 1 way....which is about a year of riding for me. What kind of riding do you do if I may ask?

Quick Reply: 2002 Raptor iddle gear