Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Drove Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2000, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i drove the raptor today. I will buy one over my banshee but my friends banshee with fmf pipes and 220 jets in it beats it barely on the road.

there has to be something wrong with the raptor because it cant hold second from the bottom of the hills like a 400ex can. my opion and the owners is that it isnt all it is crack up to be.
It will blow away a STOCK banshee like it was sitting still.
the carbs seem to work on vacum or something because when you puch the trottle in the 2 carbs dont open till like the rpms get up.
the air cleaner is still ****ed up like the banshee. The radiator hose and the lights are in bad spots he said.

It looks awsome, sounds awsome, but it aint all that it is cracked up to be where we ride. The hills had a runner the bike does like 60 up the hills
but the hills with no runner it has no chance with the stock gearing.
any questions id be happy to answer post.

Old 09-02-2000, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

When you say it is barely slower than your friends Banshee with pipes on the road, are you talking top end, take off or both? Also, how do you think it would be in a drag race off-road?

What kind of hills were you riding it on? When you say it can't hold second, do you mean that it is bogging out on hills that a 400ex goes up just fine in 2nd gear?

When you say that the carbs seem like they are on a vaccum system, do you mean that it isn't very responsive, or do you think it just has to get going before it starts making good power? The magazines reported that it had no problem to pull wheelies and that it was responsive enough to do so in 3rd gear.

And lastly, the mags say that it is barely faster than a stock banshee. What's your definition of blowing it away?

Sorry for all the questions, but inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks in advance from me and all those who have the same questions!

Old 09-02-2000, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

forgot to ask 2 more questions.

What part of it let you down, power, handling or?

How does it compare in acceleration and handling to the 400ex?

Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2000, 10:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The carbs are constant velocity(CV) just like the DS650 and do use a vacuum. The throttle valve doesn't open until the motor starts to rev up and draw more air into the bore. Instant throttle response is not as good as it can be with a non-CV flatside carb w/accelerator pump. Big bore engines can hesitate off idle. The DS650 has this problem.

Old 09-02-2000, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I just finished chatting with raptor_660 and he says he beat his freinds banshee (k&n, toomeys) by a couple or so bike lengths in about a 400ft. drag.

Also says it will walk away from a Banshee on top end..

Also, is about as quiet as a 400ex.

Old 09-03-2000, 05:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, Scooby! The CV's have an inherent lag in throttle response, compared to slide carburetors with accelerator pumps. Why, then, don't more "high-performance" ATV's come from the factory with slide carbs? Don't know; maybe it's because the CV is more environment-friendly; pollutes less. The "Greens" strike again!

Tree Farmer

Old 09-03-2000, 05:57 AM
Range Rover

220 jets

Old 09-03-2000, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

It was barely slower in almost a 1/4 mile drag on the road. they pulled off about the same as i can see. The raptor would blow it away in the dirt because the banshee would spin way to bad.
The hills were loose coal dirt. It bogs if you dont have the rpms up to open the second carb where the 400ex goes up any hill you can point at with a no runner. AND THESE HILLS ARE HUGE!
Well he raced a piped fmf banshee and almost bet it. I raced a stock banshee with my piped banshee and blew that away when the raptor can blow away mine so conluding that if he blows me away and i blow away a stock banshee he will crush one. Response if it had the response of a 400ex like push it and go with no waiting for vacum to build it would rock. I am still looking into getting one. The gearing in the tranny is also way too high for what we do. The sprockets are 13/40 and it still bogs that tells you they r high in the tranny.
It handles better than a 400ex dont ride wheelies like a 400 and accelarates a lot faster and will beat it by about alot.
The driver on the banshee with toomeys didnt know how to ride or the bike wasnt set up proporly because my friends banshee beat if by 1 to 1/2 bike lenght and then they both let off.
everyone i talked to in town was dissapointed because the 400ex climbs better but not faster.

one more thing, when he got his bike he checked the air filter and it was on up side down. it makes you wander what else could be wrong. it was on upside down and wasnt getting the right air because it was blocking part of the intake.

any more questions ??
if i take a video of the raptor and us climbing **** who can put it up on the web ???

Old 09-03-2000, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

I've got some extra server space, email it to me & I'll put it up and post the link here...

Old 09-03-2000, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

LOL 220 jets on a pipe banshee this guy doesnt know what hes talkin about.

Quick Reply: Drove Raptor