Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

IS this how a banshees supposed to run

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS this how a banshees supposed to run

I bought an 02 banshee. Has pipes, boost bottle, billet clutch. Had to rebuild the carbs to clean em out, after I brought it home (they had some sand in em).
Anyways I have it all backtogether, and Im not sure how its supposed to run really. For instance...In first gear from a dead stop, untill it hits the powerband range, it feels like its hesitating for some reason, almost like its waiting for something. In otherwords it doesnt accelerate slowly, smoothly. Then once it hits the powerband, its like WHAM! and it wants to tear ***. I mentioned this in a prior post and someone mentioned that it was normal. But im not sure? ive never owned or really ridden a banshee. I havent changed the jets or anything and the dude I bought it off of had the dealer up the street do all the aftermarket work.

like I said, if your just rollin off a dead stop, it seems to kinda hesitate. but once you lean into the gas it runs like hell.

thanks

Old 11-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Range Rover

its called 2-stroke power lol, my blaster is kinda like that , how long do u let it warm up b4 u ride it

Old 11-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

yup thats a 2 stroke for you.

you should try rideing my modded to heck rm 250, it will rip right out from under you, and lay strips in 4th gear, powerband comes on hard and fast

V581

Old 11-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its definately not smooth like the sohc 4 stroke sport quads. They type of pipe you have has a lot to do with it too.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Sometimes they will get like that too if they need to be cleaned out (run wide open in powerband) or if the plugs are almost fouled. Jetting may also be the cause.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know the carbs are clean, cuz I took them apart myself. As far as jetting, I know the yamaha dealership up the street did the work because Ive had em pull up the service invoices on the bike. that doesnt mean that they did it correctly...but you would think. I put new plugs in it. Im thinkin about takin it to a shop just for a Checkup before i do any serious ridin on it.

thanks again for the input

Old 11-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I do my test runs up the street about a mile, so by the time I get there its plenty warmed up.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

You say hesitates. It shouldn't hesitate. But if you mean it has very little power until it hits the powerband then.......Yep, that's a banshee. That's one of the reasons they have never really excelled in motocross.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: zorro700
You say hesitates. It shouldn't hesitate. But if you mean it has very little power until it hits the powerband then.......Yep, that's a banshee. That's one of the reasons they have never really excelled in motocross.
^^^^ Agreeed.. Did you ever ride a 4-stroke or another 2-stroke to compare it with? If you like how it proforms when it hits the powerband then your fine. A banshee modded like that is great!!!! FAST too!! good luck but if i was you i wouldn't go spending money to have it checked up. Read posts on here and check it yourself.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

A Banshee has less off idle performance than other two strokes because it is not a power valve motor and it is tuned for mid and top end performance. However, I would recommend double checking the jetting with your newly purchased Banshee especially the pilot and air screw. If that is good then go to main and needle. Jetting is a very important factor in owning a Banshee, especially a modified Banshee. Once set up correctly and if you ride in same conditions of elevation and temperature all the time you will be good. For big changes in elevation and temps you need to make changes again.

Quick Reply: IS this how a banshees supposed to run