Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

IS this how a banshees supposed to run

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS this how a banshees supposed to run

I agree with turtle, check the jetting first. Many times guys put pipes on Banshees and jet the mains, but dont change the pilot jets because they are really hard to get your hands on replacements. Too lean from part throttle to half throttle will make them seem hesitant. Also you didn't mention about porting if it was done or not. If someone ported the bike and didn't work the transfer ports accordingly, then you can be left with very bad bottom end that comes on like a light switch. There are too many "do it yourselfers" out there. If the bike has not been ported it sounds like you need to study your jetting closely.

There are other ways of drastically helping bottom end and smoothing out the power delivery. The 2 best and cheap things to do would be to:
1, Take the head off and have just .020 milled off, that will bump compression and help bottom end but also all the way through

2, advance the timing. Get a +4 timing key from Vito's or an adjustable plate and set it up easily. That will also boost bottom end and gain you power throughout.

Good luck and enjoy your new rush of power!

Old 11-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try moving the needle richer. Like 4th possision form the blunt end. A bog in the mid range can be from a lean needle. Bog on top is a rich Main (youlll notice this is there is a bog getting into 5-6th gear. Like said you might wanna try a bigger pilot. Give more info like type of pipes, air intake, elevation, temperature, What is your current jetting?

Old 11-06-2004, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

oKay for jetting, when I took the carbs apart I wound up having to replace the second carb, because whomever worked on it prior, messed up the Idle pin threads. So when I swapped out the factory jets on the new carb, with the ones HE had, the only ones that was different was the main jet. I think the factory jet was 200 and the one he had was 300, I didnt take the needle out of the cap so I never touched them. If I was gonna be suspicious of a problem, Im leanin to a lean mixture until around half throttle. Because the main is richer but nothing else. If I was gonna try buying pilot jets, what size should I go with?

Ill try to richen the needle position once I look into the pilot jet.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

oh yea, to my knowledge It hasnt had any millwork dont inside the block. Just boost bottle, billet clutch, twist throttle, pipes and a larger main jet.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

if the low end of the throttle spectrum is lean, can this become a seizing situation? OH yea, I have a clymer guide, thats been walkin me through my repairs. Im a pretty green motorcycle mechanic, and the book doesnt say if running the pilot screw in/out, richens/leans the fuel mixture.

Old 11-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Now the lower jetting will not cause a sezuire if it is a little lean. You sieze when you are in the main because you are sucking in way more air and RPM's. But if you have a bog condition at 1/2 throttle it is from a LEAN CONDITION at the needle. You will notice a big difference in a setting of the needle. I would do the needle first. But thats just MO. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/jetfaq.html

This is the best jetting info on the web for a banshee or any other bike, good luck

Old 11-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Theres a prime example of two-stroke power-lag, like sucking out of a straw, takes a second to get the juice[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]