Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can you get a ticket if the cop didnt see you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you get a ticket if the cop didnt see you?

If the officer did not see you he cannot ticket you because it is a misdemeanor not commited in his presence.

However the witnesses or neighbors who complain that saw you can sign a signed complaint aginst you to be taken to a judge and then he can render a verdict based on their testimoney. Just like a citizens arrest.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

could the penalty for an unlicensed driver affect when you get your license if you were driving on the road?

Old 11-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

if you go slow down the street and a cop pulls you over just tell them your going to your friends house. at least that works for my friend, he said hes gotten pulled over about 25 times and he just said he was going to his friends house and they let him go.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well, no cops ever showed up. Ill count myself lucky and remember not to do it again. Theres not much chance of my neighbors calling unless I do it to the point of annoyance or if their kids are playing outside but I always hate having anything uncertain hanging over my head.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

plead innocent and see what kinda judge is willing to take you to court for a crime which there is no proof

Old 11-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

they wont do anything , even if the cops did come they woud just warn u

Old 11-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Even if your neighbor or someone sees you there is nothing they can do except give you a warning. In order for you to get a ticket the cops have to physically see you do it.
I got a complaint for riding fast up and down my road and the cops came and gave me a ticket. I fought it and took it to court. At court the judge asked the officer what happened. He said that he wasn't there when it actually happend. The judge stoped the case right there and threw it out because the cop didn't see it. I was like haha sucker!

Old 11-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can speak from experience on this one....

When I was 18 years old, I was ticket'd for underage consumption. BUT...when the cop showed up at my house and gave me the ticket, it was for a incident that took place over a week before, where there was no cop or visual evidence. It was simply someone driving by a place where I was at. There was several people out drinking, and somehow a few names got out and the cop showed up to ticket me.

He warned me that if I pled not guilty he would file a petition of delquincy against me and so on and so forth. But I pled not guilty anyway, and the case was dropped in court, because it was my word against the person who drove by and called the law.

So they can try to give you a ticket even if they don't catch you in the act.