Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

:confused; New 14t front sprocket hits the engine case Need info. (help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 02:55 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :confused; New 14t front sprocket hits the engine case Need info. (help)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I have a problem with my 2000 Blaster. I purchased a new 14 tooth front sprocket. But the chain will not fit around the sprocket while it is installed on the quad, it hits the engine case. Almost as if the chain is too big. I had thought about removeing the sprocket and then puitting on the chain then installing it on the quad but the problem is it hits the engine case, so why would that help. I purchased this sprocket new from R.M.ATV and it is for the blaster, it bolts up fine. I have also purchased a used 14 tooth front sprocket which is a different brand and it does the same thing. Need help as to what the problem is and how I can fix it. I want to keep the front sprocket and use it. Others have used a 14t on their Blasters without any problems. Need info. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2004, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default :confused; New 14t front sprocket hits the engine case Need info. (help)

Does it have a case saver? If so, remove it and see if you can get the sprocket on. If not, don't know what to tell ya, bust out the Dremel?

Old 11-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Range Rover

What would the case savor look like, would it be stock item? I had thought about the dremel but thought that it may damage the case and/or engine causeing it to leak oil or something.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Pro Rider

The case saver, is basically a steel flap sort of thing if you remove it (it usually can come off when you take the sprocket/chain guard off the case) it would give you more clearence.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:48 AM
Range Rover

Thanks I will look at it to see what mine has. I did replace the 13t sprocket with the 14t sprocket with out takeing the guad off, the reason was is because the screws were stripped.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This will happen on the predator too......most of us just change the rear sprocket.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Stock, a 14 tooth should slid on with no problems. Are you using the correct size chain, 520?

Old 11-09-2004, 03:34 AM
Range Rover

I wished I had purchased a rear sprocket instead of the front. Now I have 2 front sprockets.

It is supposed to be a 520 chain, even though it does not say it anywhere on the chain. Is there a way to tell if it is a 520 or not?
Can I run a smaller size and still be safe? If so what size?

Old 11-09-2004, 04:19 AM
Pro Rider

Look at other chain driven quads, like a pal or someones. That will easily determine if you're chain it proper.

I would stay with a 520 chain, I've actually never seen a quad run a smaller chain and would hate to see it. Sprockets aren't too bad of a price, as long as you didn't buy the big name ones.

Old 11-09-2004, 04:39 AM
Range Rover

How can I find out if what I have is a 520 or not?

Quick Reply: :confused; New 14t front sprocket hits the engine case Need info. (help)