Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak riders please respond.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak riders please respond.

I have a new ATV on order. I would tell you it's the 2005 Rubicon but I'd rather not seeing as this is the the Yamaha Board. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Because hunting season is fast approaching and I needed an ATV right away; and because the new Rubicon probably will not be here by the time I really need it; and because my friend was selling his '03 Kodiak complete with plow and winch for what was thought to be a good price ($3,500) I decided to buy his Kodiak.

It had about 45 hours on it and other than letting his kid ride it hard and put it away wet - he never did anything to it. The first oil change and general "once over" it ever got is when I brought it home. I checked all the other fluids, serviced the air breather and tighten things up as I came across them.

First question: Is there supposed to be a dealer performed service that includes a valve adjustment or anything beyond an oil change and the like? (There is a ticking sound like a valve noise or piston skirt slap even at operating temperature.)

The only other ATVs I am really familiar with are Ranchers, either ES or auto. We have an ES Rancher that my son uses and I ride that a bit. Compared to that, the Kodiak seems to rev and Rev and REV! I performs fine and pulls strongly from a stop to top speed (about 50) and crawls on tough trails well but the revving, along with the sounds the engine makes bothers me. Maybe I am just not used to Kodiaks and this is normal; I don't know. I pulls strongly through the RPM range and nothing about the performace of the machine is at all suspect; but it does rev!

Second question: Is the Kodiak supposed to rev like crazy as you increase speed? It seems as though it's a manual shift ATV stuck in first or second gear! It does reach 50 mph on the open, level road and seems to handle any terrain or load applied to it but the engine does rev! In fact, when running at speeds above 10 or 15 mph, it sounds like the rod will come through the block and second; it's unnerving compared to the sounds I am used to.

Third question: If all of the above is normal, and if $3,500 is a good deal, am I really going to gain that much by adding about $3,000 of cash towards getting the new Rubicon? I know this a Yamaha Board and Kodiak fans will likely abound but have at it - I look forward to the replies.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

The answer to the first question is Yes there is a valve adjustment that may be needed. I had to do it in my Kodiaks after some hard riding. If your motor is Reving high but you feel that the bike is holding back you may need a new belt at a cost of $130. Your clutch plates on the right side of your bike may also caked with mud reducing the power you could be getting. If your belt is stretched and worn out, which can happen trust me, then power loss will occur. But check you Valve lash to stop the ticking noise. The specs are on your air box lid.

As far as buying a Honda?? well I can not answer that but I can tell you I have 2 Kodiaks ( 400 and 450) and would not trade them for any other bike. Take care of them and they will take care of you. Do maintenece on them and clean them after you ride and they should be pretty much trouble free. We ride our bikes like we stole them

Old 11-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Range Rover

I second "raiders post " about the valve adjust, in fact any engine regardless of valve configuration need periodoc valve adjustment wether it is a car motorcycle or ATV.
most american made cars (at least General motor) have hydrulic lifters which does self adjust as soon as you start the engine.
Most jap. cars does NOT have hydraulic lifter or over head cam design and does need periodic checking and may be adjusting.
that is where the mechanics (I did ) love you for it , 15 30 45 60 thousand mile check up, easy money !!!

Our ATVs, actually all ATVs I know of are Non hydraulic and need checking and adjusting .
one should be performed after break -in when the parts seat or settle to their places, and I normally do a check once a year.
on my dirt bike I do it twice a year.
this adjustment is fairly simple , just need a filler gauge and a screwdriver and a 10 mm wrench on most jap ATV>

I had a rancher prior to my 05 kodiak and yes , the motor is a bit louder, the exhaust is a bit louder , it revs higher.
same goes for the auto trans operation it keeps the engine RPM higher.

if he used it for plowing , the belt may be better checked , $130 seem a bit exessive for a belt , but I am not surprised.

$3500 is a good deal if it comes with a plow.

as far as the kodiak goes , I like it a lot compare to my rancher 350ES, I would not go back.
love the extra power , IRS suspension, disk brakes, diff lock( these are on the 05 model, but your 03 is an awsome machine as well ,
my wife's is a 03 400 cc kodiak, she is not even interested trying an other ATV. Easy to operate , rides good, good power, easy 4x4 operation.

grab it !!!

Old 11-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Range Rover

Do you guys know what the specs are for the valve adjustment on the 450 Kodiak?

As to the revving, like I said, the machine seems to perform fine and I would not say that there is a concern about slipping, it just seems oddly high revving compared to what I have come to expect.

Let me know the valve specs for intake and exhaust. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The valves are set cold.
The intake is .0024" to .0039"
exhaust is .0063" to .0079".
The reving is normal...all the cvt tranny quads do it. You get used to it. I put a tach on mine, and itll hit about 5700 rpm max, which isnt all that high...just sounds like it. You may want to pull the belt cover off, and look inside. If it looks clean, button it up. If its muddy or dirty, youll want to clean and relube the primary clutch.
The Kodiak packs alot of features for the price.And with the winch and plow...you got a good deal.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Range Rover

Hondabuster, thank you for the specs, I'll adjust them this weekend and check the primary cover innards.

While my sights are set on the new Rubicon I have to admit that the Kodiak does seem to have more features for the price, especially mine because I got a deal from a friend on a second-hand model.

One of the the things that does sour me on this machine for long term ownership however was the fact that my friend did nothing to it for 43 hours other than let his kid beat on it. Hey, even though we are intensely personal about these ATVs, they're just machines!

Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

Whiskey I think what you are hearing is normal.The Kodiak is a rock solid machine.I bought one when they first came out in 2000.There were only three issues.The water pump which was upgraded in 01,the choke return ($12.00) kit and the steering stem bushing.I put 2500 miles on mine and NEVER touched the belt.(unlike the Priaire I have now).Keep an eye on where the front snorkle connects to the block for the belt.They have been known to come loose.
I checked my valves at 1000 miles and 2000 miles and they did not need adjusted but I am sure thats not always the case
If that machine is doing over 50 the belt is not slipping.Depending on who you talk to they will do between 53 and 57 MPH on flat ground.
The price sounds fair especially with all the accessories,,,,,,,,good luck
02 650 Prairie

Old 11-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Whiskey, I wouldnt let the 43 hours bother me too much. They can take alot more abuse than that. I work with two guys, who are both very good mechanics, and they have a contest to see who can go the longest without changing the oil, one has got a quad that has gone more than 10 years, with out a change. They run just fine, and I dont doubt them a bit. Ive seen the oil, and it looks like strong coffee. One has a lease car, which is ready to go off lease, and has never had an oil change (25000 miles), and it still runs fine. It doesnt bother him a bit, in fact hes thinking about buying it, because its been so troublefree.
Keep an eye on the brakes, if the kid was hot rodding around, they are probably close to used up.
Theres alot of difference between the cvt types, which are designed to rev freely, and the geared, hondas which were designed to rev low, and have heavy flywheels. The reving wont bother you after awhile, and the motor sure doesnt care.
The kodiak will have a higher center of gravity, and will feel tippier than the hondas, but the low range and locking front diff, really come in handy for heavy work, or slippery conditions.
You made a good choice, have fun riding.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

wow... while this may be off topic, but the 2 mechanic friends of yours must have lots of money to burn, and may be experienced as mechanic ...:-? however lacking on common sense.

leased a car ...did not change the oil..... 25000 miles, and wants to buy/keep it ??????
I am sure the engine will run as long as it has oil, however the life or longativity of the engine is seriously questioned.

interesting contest.......

Old 11-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I agree, ...It started as a disagreement over how often oil needs changing, and so on, and they got alot of people in an uproar over how long they let it go. The point is, too many people change oil way too often, and if you unload your vehicles, in less than 3 years, you wont have any engine problems. Even 10 years, like on his 4 wheeler. Its the next owner thats gonna have issues. But the interesting thing is, no matter how well you do maintance, or how badly you neglect it, you get the same price when you sell or trade in. They say they are actually doing it the cheapest way..they dont shell out for filters or plugs or oil...and they still get the same price when they sell. Ive tried argueing with them...but so far, theyve been right, and theres no way id buy a vehicle from them.