Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2000, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a '99 Bnashee Friday. It ran great for two days then I had to put gas in it. I was told to mix it 16 oz. to 5 gal. gas. I mixed it up like they said to and now it won't start. I checked the plugs and they were fouled. I cleaned them up and it still won't fire. I also noticed that the gasket around the exhaust manifold was hanging down like it blew and there was oil dripping down. Could I be sucking too much air from the gasket or can my premix be wrong. I have a cool head, Stage IV dual intakes, Keihin racing carb, and Dyno port pipes. I can't really tell you the jetting since I just bought it and this is my first quad. Any help is much appreciated!!

Old 09-03-2000, 11:01 PM
Range Rover

What kind of oil did you use??

Old 09-03-2000, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Were you "giving it the gears?" or running it like its suposta run downshifting instead of using the brakes? My buddie rides a cr500 and he blew the bottom cylinder gasket right out by downshifting... better that then the motor itself :-)

Old 09-03-2000, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

also, does it turn over? if not its siezed, if it turns over really easy it might have little to no compression, have you tried jump starting it? usually machines with low compression will still jumpstart, as long as there is "some" compression. you should be able to tell by kicking it over.

Old 09-04-2000, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

At first it kicked right over, then it faded like it was flooded. It would kick over a couple of times then fade out. I would downshift for power but nothing drastic to where I'd blow it up. Tried jump starting it, you can hear it wanting to start but it didn't. I'll try to replace that gasket, the guy I bought it from had form-a-gasket on it. I'll redo the gaskets tomorrow and see where that leaves me. My only guess is the premix is too strong. I was using Premium 2 stroke premix. That's what the original owner used.

Old 09-04-2000, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

It's the gas, it fired right up then faded again this morning. They must of told me the wrong mixture. Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-04-2000, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

16 oz to 5gallons??!?!?!?!?!?!?! gees i thought the norm was 4oz per gal. when i mix 5gallons i usually pt abou 23oz in, a lil extra cant hurt!

Old 09-05-2000, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

if you blew a gasket you might have a air leak dont run it or you will seize your engine

Old 09-05-2000, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

Well I solved the problem. The gas mixture fouled the plugs too bad. I put new ones in and it fired right up. I still need to fix that gasket that way I don't lose all my crankcase oil. Thanks for all your help!!

Old 09-05-2000, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Well, it's good that it's running again. I don't know what "Premium 2 Stroke Mix" is but at the least go to your Yamaha dealer and buy some Yamalube 2R and mix 20 ounces to 5 gallons not 16. You can do 16 ounces to 5 gallons if you want, but I would do that with a full synthetic or castor based oil... Don't mix leaner on the oil because you fouled your plugs, you will be replacing that gasket along with piston, rings, etc...

Quick Reply: Banshee Problems