Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

More Raptor stories....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here is something that I've thought about from the beginning.

You're saying that a Banshee barely beats a 400ex, but we all know that the horsepower difference is quite a bit. Why does the 400ex do so well for being "underpowered"? Is it because it's a Honda? Nope, that's not it. The only reason that I can think of is the difference in the power curves. Whereas the Banshee is higher and more "peaky", the 400ex is broader. If you were to average the HP out over certain points of its delivery, the 400 would do quite well.

From day one on finding out the details on the Raptor, I have felt that this broad, 4-stroke powerband would be awesome. I've asked the question before, but don't recall anyone answering it, but if it has a broad power range like a lot of other 4-strokes, is it possible that it may be competitive with 2-strokes with an even greater peak hp?

Also, has anyone that has receiver theirs bothered to check and see that the throttle is opening fully during wide open throttle? I was just wondering if Yamaha might have pulled the same trick as Honda did by setting the throttle to less than maximum opening on the 400ex.

Old 09-05-2000, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Never fear Yamaha has atleast 2 more Quads in development for 2001 and maybe 2002, one is a compliment to the Raptor and they may use the YZ 426 powerplant. Also possibly mentioned is an actual Updated Banshee(gen II)with a new frame geometry and suspension.(and hopefully updated airbox and chain adjusters.) Expect an announcement before spring.

So we Raptor buyers just get the earliest of the New family of modern Yamahas. Bring on the hondas.

Old 09-05-2000, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

Where do you guys come up with these rumors. An air cooled Honda, and 2 more Yamahas. Are you reading tea leaves or what?

Old 09-05-2000, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

A 2nd generation Banshee? That would almost hurt my feelings that I bought a Raptor!

A guess buying vs. waiting is like holding out to buy a faster computer. If you are waiting to buy a faster one, you'll always be waiting cause they're always making a faster one.

I'm not worried about Honda, I'd just hate to see yamaha making competing quads. My guess would be with the 2nd generation banshee over an mx bike. Actually, a Banshee with an updated engine/frame/suspension would be the makings for an awesome race bike. Yamaha is doing good so far with keeping the Banshee and Raptor since they both (supposedly) excell in their own environments. My guess would be that if they come out with another hi-po quad, it would be an update on the Banshee, possibly with a new engine (426) or more than 350cc twin 2-stroke.

Old 09-05-2000, 03:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bash, If you look at a typical torque or HP curve for a 2-stroke, you will notice that the slope of the curve where the powerband kicks in is much steeper than a typical 4-stroke curve. It is this steep SLOPE in the curve that results in incredible instantaneous acceleration. It has to do with F=mA. The steeper the curve the larger the acceleration. A typical 4-stroke will have basically a near linear acceleration curve, but a 2-stroke will have a non-linear acceleration curve. A 2-stroke with the same peak HP as a 4-stroke can run about the same in a long drag due to the 2-strokes hard acceleration hit, which makes up for loosing the holeshot. One easy way the 2-stoke can gain an edge or beat the 4-stroke is to launch from an RPM around 3500-4000, where the powerband starts, by slipping the clutch.

Old 09-05-2000, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

You know if Honda did make a 650EX the I'm sure the 5 valve, still larger displacement Raptor would still make more HP. The chassis is supposed to be exceptional, and it has reverse! I really doubt the possibility of a 650EX as having any effect whatsoever on the Raptor. Geeze, I cant wait to get one! I just want to see them in person first. Can't decide which color till I see it up close!!!!

Old 09-05-2000, 11:56 AM
Range Rover

You are trying to tell me a stock Banshee won't beat a stock 400EX? That's funny because I owned a 400EX and my buddy's Banshee would whip it anywhere and anytime. That is why I sold it and bought a real machine. A BANSHEE!!! A 400ex is way down on power, it is a great quad but just underpowered.

Old 09-05-2000, 11:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Surfer400ex....Their is no way...no way that a stock 400ex will even stay close to a stock Banshee after initial take-off. I should know...I sold the '00 400ex and still have the '00 Banshee. Everyone that has witnessed a stock 400ex and a stock Banshee race has really been entertained by that one!

Old 09-05-2000, 12:01 PM
Range Rover

A Banshee kills a 400EX in a drag race especially when the drag is 200 yards or longer. My buddy's stock Banshee would beat my EX by at least 15 to 20 yards when the drag race exceeded 200 yards. It was embarrasing. This was done on pavement so both quads were getting all the power to the ground.

Old 09-05-2000, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Well, you guys almost got it right about the two new quads coming out for Yamaha. I just got off the phone with my rep (I called checking to see when our first shippment of Raptors is to arrive. My customers are driving me CRAZY in anticipation!) and he said that they are to be released just before Christmas as 2001 1/2 models. They are both VERY similar to the Raptors in their frame geometry and suspension.

The Banshee II (actually to be called the "T-Rex" now) is to be a liquid cooled, twin cylinder, 500cc, 2-stroke with electric start AND reverse! It will no doubt be the most powerful quad ever built.

The 426 (to be named later) is more along the lines of a 400EX. Predigious use of carbon fiber, aluminum, and titanium will make this one by far the lightest sport quad ever made and also one of the most expensive! No headlights, starter, or reverse. This quad is strictly for the hardcore!

Looks like things are REALLY looking up for the sport quad community and moreso even for Yamaha.

Quick Reply: More Raptor stories....