Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Building a Banshee MX Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the motor, if your gnna have a Banshee motor built for racing or serious power I think it would be better to buy a used motor, since most of the engine compnents are going to be replaced anyways during thr buildup (thats what I ended up doing) during the buildup of my second motor most of the motor was replaced and/or modified so I dont think its worth buying a new motor. And I tried to buy a new motor from Yamaha, they wouldnt sell me a complete motor unless they could see the bike needed a completely new one, so I just bought a used one for less than a 1/3 of the price of a new one.
As for which chassis/suspension setup is best (in my opinon, for what its worth) I think , after finally riding it, is the complete bike from Lonestar (the outlaw) it is lighter than a bike outfitted with Roll Design components (Roll doesnt offer a replacemnt frame to cut weight) has a better weight bias (pretty much eliminates the Banshee nose heavy atittude) handles like an aftermarket 250R, and is stronger than a similar Laeger equipped bike and handles better in my opinion, more responsive with less effort, and less bump steer. But the outlaw Banshee will end up costing the most, though you will have a top of the line quad and a very unique one at that. I dont know the exact weight of each of the bikes/setups, (dont have a scale large enough) but I do know the outlaw is very noticeable lighter than my Roll Design equipped bike and a Laeger equipped Banshee (the Laeger bike has the Pro-Trax frontend, MX frame, and CR-500 rear linkage), these are just my opinions!

Old 01-07-2001, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

There is a fairly new company here in Vegas that is making a banshee frame with 250r geometry, but unlike the outlaw you can use your banshee a-arms and swing arms. Should be cheaper in the long run for people who have already bought aftermarket parts for there banshees. There websight is just coming together. www.percisionatv.com I think. I've seen his first frame he built for desert racing and its pretty trick with a dual shock rear end. Might want to give him a call. Will get the number and post tomm. if you want

David Chapman

Old 01-07-2001, 11:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Blazin_Banshee, By dual shock rearend do you mean independent rear suspension?

Old 01-08-2001, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

no it is simply a shock placed in front of the stock shock at a different angle. Really not sure how it will work but it was something he did for his desert bike. Haven't got to see it all togther yet. He was sending the frame out to have shocks made. I'm going to have him make me a frame as soon as I can come up with the 2000. I like the idea that I dont have to buy a new swing arm or a-arms.