Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

new to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the forum

i just wanted to say hey to everyone on here...i just got a new raptor and i had a couple of questions quick...one is with the jetting on it, would i be able to do it myself?...i've never done one before but i'm mechanically inclined for the most part and i was wondering how hard it is to do...also i just bought the gytr exhaust and it's not in yet but i don't think it comes with the head pipe...it was 300 from yamaha...but i see on here some people have the head pipe from yamaha...it's not listed on the site and my dealer didn't know about it so where would i be able to get one?...thanks for the help i'm sure i'll recieve and hey to all

Old 11-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default new to the forum

WELCOME TO THE FORMS!!! and as far as jetting goes yea i would say you can do that with out much of a hassle and the head pipe im not sure on ill look for ya and let you know if i run across it .

Old 11-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new to the forum

Jetting isn't to bad on single carb engine's. It is a good thing to learn how to do it right. After you put the pipe on, put a jet a few sizes bigger than stock in it and see what it does. Check the spark plug after you ride it, usually if it is real black and has soot on it, then it is to rich, go down on the jet size. If it is real white looking, then it is lean and that can be very bad, so you need to go up on the jet size. When the plug starts looking like a tanish color then you got it running pretty good.

P.S. You should only have to change the main jet with a pipe, the pilots should be fine.

And welcome to the Forums!

Old 11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Default new to the forum

Welcome to the forums. I would get yourself a good manual for your quad (if you dont have one already). Jetting can be tough sometimes and the manual helps with alot of questions you might have. I'am not to sure if the exaust you are speaking of comes with the head pipe. I would guess that it does not. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default new to the forum

thanks for the input...does anyone know where to find a manual for the 350?...can i order it right from yamaha?...if so, i'll get one this week......

Old 11-24-2004, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default new to the forum

Unless you are going to do some really heavy mods (cams and such) you don't need a new head pipe. The original is pretty good already. If all you are doing is puting the GYTR pipe on, you may not have to re-jet at all but if you open up your air box, which is what you are going to have to do to get the most out of your pipe, then you will definately have to re-jet.
You can do the re-jetting by yourself, but it's a pain in the ***, although I wouldn't trust a Yamaha mechanic to do any better unless you know him pretty well and he has a good reputation.

Old 11-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new to the forum

i'm pretty much going to do full mods...cam, piston, intake, exhaust........so i am probably going to buy the head pipe on rockymountainatv.....thanks guys

Old 11-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default new to the forum

Welcome to the site. Save the money on the headpipe until you get some more cc's in the motor, the stock carb and headpipe are more then enough. Depending on where you ride you may want to get different tires before you start going nutty on the motor. Have fun with the rappy

Old 11-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default new to the forum

Welcome dude.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]