Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ450, STD Predator or TLD Predator

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450, STD Predator or TLD Predator

I have this posted in the Polaris forum as well, just want to see what kind of replies I get here.

I had my mind set on the STD Pred for a long time, but I've been thinking I might as well spring the extra $300 mainly for the shock upgrade. The main question with that is how would the closer gear ratio be in the woods?

So my mind was set on the Predator...until I stopped by the local Yamaha/Suz/Kaw dealer (again). The price tag on the YFZ was MSRP and that always sent me back out the door. I was then informed that they have two more '04 YFZs left going for $5899 each. Not bad. So there lies my dilemma.

'05 STD Pred $5799
'05 TLD Pred $6199
'04 YFZ 450 $5899

I'm still leaning towards the Predator because I will be doing mostly trail riding and reverse nice to have. What do you guys think?

Old 11-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

If reverse if a factor go with the new preddy, though the YFZ is very light and you could just push it around. Don't know how that close tranny ratio works, but I bet the gears are short and it likes to be rev, but thats my guess. As for the STD, if you're getting a preddy you might as well go with the TLD.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Do you really need to ask??? YFZ hands down!

Old 11-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the 05 TLD Preddy will be better in really tight situations, but the 4-5 gap is a tad large for the stock engine to pull easily. Maybe with a few bolt ons it would be a different story on that one though. If you are comfortable with Polaris, are looking to trail bash, and want reverse, I would go with the Polaris. I mostly want to do some fast trail riding, but am looking at the Yammer since reverse has little use for me.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: number250mhsc
Be helpful and give him you opinion, he doesn't want to know what you like, he was information so he could chose one. Your post isn't helping any one so please be informative.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

Id say go with the predator. It is a fast bike and it has reverse I was looking to get a sport atv for offroad, trails, and speed. I was looking at the predator but then I needed 4 wheel drive so I couldnt get a predator.
The yfz is a sporty bike with no reverse im sure it wont be hard to get off and manuver it around. But I would go with the predator.
-------------------------
04 Honda RUbicon
03 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4
01 Yamaha wolverine. MANY MoDs

Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

my friends in the same problem he is going back and forth between a 450r and pred he finaly made his mind up on the pred he does lots of trail riding and some roads mx track...ide say go with the pred i like the normal pred better..

Old 11-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YFZ660R
Be helpful and give him you opinion, he doesn't want to know what you like, he was information so he could chose one. Your post isn't helping any one so please be informative.
He gave his opinion, he said YFZ, how much info can you give a person that is already into quads? Everyone says "sure reverse would come on handy in trails" thats just common sense, it isn't informative at all.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Jibrille
He gave his opinion, he said YFZ, how much info can you give a person that is already into quads? Everyone says "sure reverse would come on handy in trails" thats just common sense, it isn't informative at all.
So you call that information, saying you will pick a YFZ, and give no information as in why you would pick it. This guy may be into sport quads, but there is some information that they don't know that usually only owners will know. So thats why he's asking. I regardless what you say, don't think that guy was being very helpful.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Jibrille
So you call that information, saying you will pick a YFZ, and give no information as in why you would pick it. This guy may be into sport quads, but there is some information that they don't know that usually only owners will know. So thats why he's asking. I regardless what you say, don't think that guy was being very helpful.
lol, at the end of his post he said "I'm still leaning towards the Predator because I will be doing mostly trail riding and reverse nice to have. What do you guys think? " so saying, YFZ Hands down, asnwers his question. he already knows enough about the quads, why waste time typing out useless info....

Quick Reply: YFZ450, STD Predator or TLD Predator