Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Problem With Grizzly??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With Grizzly??

I was just at competition accessories near columbus ohio the other day and they have a new Grizzly in there right now with the tracks on it, they wanted $7099 for the Grizz and I think 2500 or 2900 for the tracks, Pretty mean looking quad like that!!

Old 12-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Bwanna if you want a soft riding machine that soaks up rocks like they were nothing the Grizz is a good way to go.They are reliable.As far as the heat problem it was there.We have three in our group and they all did it at one time or another.They guy with the 02 STILL does it if you ride slow in summer weather.The heat kit is an insulated fuel line,diff side covers and a shield.One guy used heat wrap on his exhaust and that seemed to help more that anything!
Like someone said,they are not the torque monster that a p650/700 or BF is but it does not lack for power either.
The steering effort is light too.I have ridden one for a day at a time and personally they do not fit my style of riding.They do feel top heavy and have body roll.Cranking up the shocks helps but it's still there with a stiffer ride.This is not a conspiricy theory ,all the mags even mention this.Before everyone freaks out!
If you trail cruise and blasting around a corner is not what does it for you then they are a good choice.I will say one of our riders has a set of c-series wheels and that helps.It widens the stance.I personally don't think the heat issue will be a deal where you live[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Good luck!
02 650 Camo

Old 12-03-2004, 03:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ive ridden the grizz in afghanistan(during operation Enduring Freedom) the bikes were used to tow air evac equipment on and off the flightline. the bikes never failed in any way during my stay there. I went today and purchased an 05 Grizzly. Thank evryone for their help, it was extremly helpful in deciding.

Bwanna

Old 12-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer

Let the beatings begin. Dru, you better put on your thick skin. Jeff and I are gonna bust your chops every chance we get. Nice choice though, although I would've gone with the KQ for the kind of money.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

So Be it, make sure you bring your tow rope, cause that is the only way you two will be able to keep up.......in tow. see you on the 12th!!!!

Bwanna

Old 12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you ever have heat problems, invest in that highlifter heat wrap (or find someplace that sells it and get it for considerably less). I had that problem one time ever for about 15 minutes. I wrapped the header pipe in that stuff the next week and have never seen a hint of the problem again. Simple idea and eleviates the problem completely. Others have sent the pipe of to have it coated with something, but thats fairly expensive. The wrap stuff works fine.

Main problem with that thing was that the carb was right beside the exhaust and nothing was there to block off the heat. The side panels and the new insulation yamaha used was a good idea, but wrapping the pipe will completely solve it.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have heard of people using the heat wrap to fix the issue, its good advice. The heatfighter kit is really a set of plastic panels with fins in it to let air in instead of solid panels. At the local dealer they had 3 grizzlys come back in after installing the kit because of the same excessive heat issues so they wrapped the header and they worked fine.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

The heat kit consists of new vented side panels, new exhaust shield, fuel line insulation, and insulation for under your fuel tank. I work at a Yamaha dealer and we put over 60 of these kits on and haven't had any come back. We also talked most people into getting their valves adjusted for $25 at the same time. Grizzly valves seem to be pretty tight and probably cause most of the problems people report.
db

Old 12-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

I think the tippiness complaint is overrated (just like me) cause I have sidehilled my stock griz on very steep hills that had a good turnout (just in case) and rode steeper and steeper standing and sitting....it never lifted a wheel. I think the IRS gives gives people that tippy feeling, but that baby is planted. I have ridden the same sidehill on my other solid axle quad and had to turnout early to keep from flipping.

Just my observations, I think the Grizz is a really great quad. The only thing I would change is the placement of the rear snorkel (it should have gone to the front.)

Old 12-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

....05 or 04 they will overheat,no doubt. Mine does..04.
05 no design vhanges at all. Joe

Quick Reply: Problem With Grizzly??