Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 02:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??

Put me into the "moron" catagory then. Make that a capital "M" too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have drag raced three heavily modded Banshees in the last couple of months at our hang out. Have yet to be beaten by one. I even took the opportunity to spend some time racing one of them against many other bikes that were there that day. My bike outran the Banshee while I was riding it too. I have spent MANY years riding the Banshee since the early nineties. Never thought I would see the day that some faster came out. But it has happened.

The 450 would just tear up the Banshee in the low end so bad it wasn't even funny. We were running on a 900 foot track. At the very end of the track the Banshees would start closing the gap, but that was about it.

Top end would obviously be not contest in favor of the Shee.

Buck[/quote]

son i dont know what planet you are from but they aint no 4stroke notthin hangin with no heavily modified banshee you are do a reality check heavy modded banshees run 75-85mph in 300ft and thats in the sand. usual times on heavily modded banshees are 4.10-3.70 now show me a 450 that can run in the mid 4s and you have a one of a kind .

Old 12-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

[i]
Buck
son i dont know what planet you are from but they aint no 4stroke notthin hangin with no heavily modified banshee you are do a reality check heavy modded banshees run 75-85mph in 300ft and thats in the sand. usual times on heavily modded banshees are 4.10-3.70 now show me a 450 that can run in the mid 4s and you have a one of a kind .[/quote]

Modded Banshees are very fast. But, you guys are under estimating the 450. They are rockets off the showroom. Add the cam mod, pipes and intake and they go into hyperdrive. Keep in mind, they weigh 50 lbs less than a Banshee. They are at 45 hp off the floor compared to 32 hp on a banshee off the floor.

Now, a healily modded Banshee can get 55 hp on the dyno with out much problem. With the weight difference, on a 450, you probably only have to add 5 hp to the 450 to make it an even race, which a slip on would do.

They must be new enough such that the Banshee owners don't realize what they are up against.

Old 12-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Feel free to have an opinion. That's what this site is for. We all have the right to have them.

Do me a favor and remember one thing. I'm not a 16 year old kid making this stuff up. You can call me every four letter word in the book, but don't call me "son". I'm probably old enough to be your dad.....son.

I have spent thousands of hours on modded Banshees like you mention. Sorry, but the bottom end just ins't there to hang with the Zs right now.

Buck

Old 12-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

since the shee is quicker low end.. wouldn't it beat the 450 off the start?

Old 12-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
[i]
Buck
son i dont know what planet you are from but they aint no 4stroke notthin hangin with no heavily modified banshee you are do a reality check heavy modded banshees run 75-85mph in 300ft and thats in the sand. usual times on heavily modded banshees are 4.10-3.70 now show me a 450 that can run in the mid 4s and you have a one of a kind .
Modded Banshees are very fast. But, you guys are under estimating the 450. They are rockets off the showroom. Add the cam mod, pipes and intake and they go into hyperdrive. Keep in mind, they weigh 50 lbs less than a Banshee. They are at 45 hp off the floor compared to 32 hp on a banshee off the floor.

Now, a healily modded Banshee can get 55 hp on the dyno with out much problem. With the weight difference, on a 450, you probably only have to add 5 hp to the 450 to make it an even race, which a slip on would do.

They must be new enough such that the Banshee owners don't realize what they are up against.[/quote]

I see what your saying a simple bolt on banshee can reach 50hp with ease. Also so can a yfz with similar bolt on's. But a simple port job on a banshee and it's a different story. There are plenty of banshees on a stock stroke and bore with just port jobs running 80+ HP and excess of 90+. You need everything in the book to get a 450 to a mear 65HP. Oh yeah did I for get $$$$$$$$$$$$. Sure weight does come into play but The 450 cant make up any more horse power to close the gap on the shee.

A member on the BHQ got a $200 woods port job from Eric Gorr, just a good local builder for him. I know a dyno dosnt mean much but it pulled 76HP. Thats just insaine to gain that amount of HP that easy. NO 4 stoke can match that. Any good rider would make the shee REALLY hard to beat.

Oh yeah sure the shee dosent have low end but when your raceing if your in the low end your getting passed.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
since the shee is quicker low end.. wouldn't it beat the 450 off the start?
The Shee is slower in the low end. This is what gives it a disadvantage in a drag race. If the race is long enough for her to get her stride the Shee will come out on top. But the 450 has much more bottom end grunt.

Buck

Old 12-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

I just wish I would have never responded to this thread over a week ago I tryed to tell the guy to just pony up and by the most dependable factory quad there is, yes a little heaver but well worth the power and its dependable reputation.

Old 12-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

[quote]
[i]well, when you can ride a wheelie down the road with your feet on the handle bars for as long as you damn well please, then you can dish it out to me, other than that, shut the hell up.

/q]

Halarious! LOL

Them blasters are much easier to ride a wheelie on. If I had one like yours, I am sure I could put my feet up too. But, it's alot tougher for us big boy quads. You'll understand one day when you are all big.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

You're a dumb moron, you know that? i just told you, Banshee. I also happen to own a KFX 400 which i prefer to stunt on. you're the kind of person i tell that they need to go buy "new high speed muffler bearings" jsut because they're dumb enough to believe that there are such thing as muffler bearings.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][/quote]

You're a dumb moron, you know that? i just told you, Banshee. I also happen to own a KFX 400 which i prefer to stunt on. you're the kind of person i tell that they need to go buy "new high speed muffler bearings" jsut because they're dumb enough to believe that there are such thing as muffler bearings.[/quote]

Dude! I just got new muffler bearings. They replace the end cap in the silencer. It has a spinner that keeps rotating on inertia after each exhaust pulse. It creates a vacuum in the pipe between exhaust pulses. It actually serves to suck exhaust gasses out of your combustion chamber. You can activate it with just a couple pinches on the throttle. Check them out in Rockymountainatv.com. I think they have them for Blasters too.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2004LEBANSHEE
[i]
Buck

They must be new enough such that the Banshee owners don't realize what they are up against.
I see what your saying a simple bolt on banshee can reach 50hp with ease. Also so can a yfz with similar bolt on's. But a simple port job on a banshee and it's a different story. There are plenty of banshees on a stock stroke and bore with just port jobs running 80+ HP and excess of 90+. You need everything in the book to get a 450 to a mear 65HP. Oh yeah did I for get $$$$$$$$$$$$. Sure weight does come into play but The 450 cant make up any more horse power to close the gap on the shee.

A member on the BHQ got a $200 woods port job from Eric Gorr, just a good local builder for him. I know a dyno dosnt mean much but it pulled 76HP. Thats just insaine to gain that amount of HP that easy. NO 4 stoke can match that. Any good rider would make the shee REALLY hard to beat.

Oh yeah sure the shee dosent have low end but when your raceing if your in the low end your getting passed.[/quote]

I think maybe I am putting the 450 on a Pedestal. I am always trying to beat my buddy's and I can just barely take em. But, we just weighed our selves. He is 185 and I am 210 lbs. That's got to be a factor.

Quick Reply: I need help on a decisioin.. Do i want a raptor or a banshee??