Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cold air intake mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake mod

has anyone ever tried to create some sort of ram air induction to their airbox/intake?

think it makes sense?

I know it works for cars, and engines need air....

who is the great inventor out there, money to be made(hehhe)

Old 12-16-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

I have more time then i know what to do with for the next few weeks so i'll try it, you've inspired me. Should be easy, run some piping from the snorkle to the front of the bike, Ram air style.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

It's been done. But the only problem is that you have to create such angles that it kinda defeats the purpose. If you ram air into the airbox, it then has to make a 180 degree turn and head back towards the front of the bike into the carb. Having to move in such angles really takes away from the "ram" effect.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

wouldnt flipping the carbs 180 be a solution?

Old 12-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

which would also require flipping the engine 180 think a little bigger here i guess you could create somthing that came out infront of the back fenders and like arked around into the back of the airbox therefore the air would be heading in the right direction but if your riding in wet conditions or where mud will get in its not practicle

Old 12-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

what? no, then the carbs wouldn't be facing the cylinder thus making them have to shoot the mixture around a bend and through a long tube...deffinatly wont work.

Play with the 180 degree turn one before you give it up because it is prolly the most practical, it could work. The engine will be sucking air through the pipe and could make it work easier with the sharp turn there, the vacuum effect might aid it alot.

How bout this? If you can, use a rubber or flexable plastic tube. You'd have to create less of an angle from the pipe off the air box so making it a 90 degree angle with a big scoop or cup device on the end to catch or direct the air down the tube? This could be placed off the side of the bike by the fender er somethin...you'd have to protect it more from dirt though. You could also try to have it coming up from the back of the bike.

Also if you have to make bends you could make 2 45 degree bends one in the middle of the pipe and the other at the base of the scoop to make more of a rounded shape than something with a drastic turn.

It will be hard to make and design to work well...good luck

Old 12-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Voodoothenoob
wouldnt flipping the carbs 180 be a solution?
sure, but then your going to have to flip the engine...but wait, then you'll be going in reveres all the time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Just as a side note...most "ram air" cars, motors, etc... have intakes that are 90 degrees from the air intake. i.e. most functional hood scoops push air into the carb/intake, but the carb is mounted vertically.

A true "ram air" or forced air induction, or cold air intake just takes more air and directs it toward your carb. The point is not that the carb must be inline with the intake and engine, but rather the carb can get access to fresh cool air from a source away from the engine, i.e. the hood scoops.
Hood scoops or intakes are designed to be in the front of vehicles because as the engine revs, it wants more air and the faster you go the more air gets forced into the intake. Eventually you are limited by the size of your carb or intake though.

All in all a good idea...maybe a dual intake that wraps around the front of your bike...

Hope this helps...