Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best quad for dessert races? Raptor- YFZ 450.. GNCC

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best quad for dessert races? Raptor- YFZ 450.. GNCC

Does GNCC hold Desert races? The YFZ 450 is lighter and better for MX. And i like the raptor for more high speed. But if i were to put +2+1 a-arms an axle and maybe swing arm with shocks.. or a YFZ 450 with the same which will come out to be better for Dessert races?

Would the speed of the raptor beniffit better than the low end torque of the YFZ?
Or the other war around?

Also i am talking about piped and jetted.. both quads..

Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
Does GNCC hold Desert races? The YFZ 450 is lighter and better for MX. And i like the raptor for more high speed. But if i were to put +2+1 a-arms an axle and maybe swing arm with shocks.. or a YFZ 450 with the same which will come out to be better for Dessert races?

Would the speed of the raptor beniffit better than the low end torque of the YFZ?
Or the other war around?

Also i am talking about piped and jetted.. both quads..
I'm planning on entering the Vegas to Reno desert race next year, and im running a YFZ, bone stock sept yoshi pipe, some call me brave, but for XC racing, anything that you can handle is all u need. and GNCC tracks ususally have some flat track and mx style stuff in sections, but ride what your comfortable with, just remember, the Raptor is heavy in comparison to yfz. but get what you like, plus check what class you are restricted to if any.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

Considering the raptor is heavier and doesn't have as good as a suspension as the YFZ, I go wit the YFZ, though they both get you tired when riding them for long rides, and I don't think you need the more speed of the raptor for those kind of races, you probaly need to get there faster which the YFZ is best at, and adding a pipe to both, they both open up good.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone else i need a lot of replies!!! Raptor riders????

Old 12-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
Does GNCC hold Desert races? The YFZ 450 is lighter and better for MX. And i like the raptor for more high speed. But if i were to put +2+1 a-arms an axle and maybe swing arm with shocks.. or a YFZ 450 with the same which will come out to be better for Dessert races? Would the speed of the raptor benefit better than the low end torque of the YFZ?Or the other war around?Also i am talking about piped and jetted.. both quads..
Check out...GNCC Link. GNCC is primarily in the north eastern portion of the states and the conditions are primary tight, rocky terrain with varying altitudes. The YFZ would be much more nimble in these demanding racing conditions. The YFZ has zero low end torque and needs to be ran in the upper rpm range to make power. Not saying the Raptor can't be ran competitive with the right parts, but it will always be at a disadvantage when compared to a similarly equipped YFZ.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy and I fly thru the dessert. I am on a Raptor he is on a yfz. We are neck and neck. My raptor has a lot of mods. His YFZ is pretty much stock. I wouldn't be able to keep up in those conditions if it weren't for the engine and suspension mods I have.

I love the Raptor, but I must say the YFZ would have a sizable advantage in desert racing...IMO

Old 12-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
My buddy and I fly thru the dessert. I am on a Raptor he is on a yfz. We are neck and neck. My raptor has a lot of mods. His YFZ is pretty much stock. I wouldn't be able to keep up in those conditions if it weren't for the engine and suspension mods I have.

I love the Raptor, but I must say the YFZ would have a sizable advantage in desert racing...IMO
hmm ive seen many quad videos in dunes, and raptors are always kick ***...

Old 12-21-2004, 03:55 PM
MTX
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YamahaAtvFreak
Originally posted by: MasterRaptor

hmm ive seen many quad videos in dunes, and raptors are always kick ***...
Only if their modded alot

Old 12-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Are there any other quads to compare the YFZ too with the exception of the raptor cause from your decisions the Raptor is out...

Old 12-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If money were no object, for wide open desert racing where one may be running upwards of 100mph, the Raptor could easily be the best choice. It comes down to preference....no desert in Jersey though??

Quick Reply: Best quad for dessert races? Raptor- YFZ 450.. GNCC